4: Team 7

I barged back into the Hokage's office and ran to Tsunade, giving her a huge hug.

"Oh, uh, Y/n..." she laughed softly.

"I can't thank you enough!"

As I pulled away, I wrapped my arms over Jiraiya, "And you too!!"

Jiraiya laughed loudly.

"You have such a cute laugh!" I complimented while laughing with him.

I was on cloud nine, and no one could take me down from that.

I turned to the white haired jonin, and threw my arms on him too... because why not.

He stood as still as a statue and after letting go, I looked at him.

"Hey, I'm sorry for being rude earlier," I sheepishly rubbed my neck.

"You shouldn't hug people you don't know."

I titled my head to the side, "Are you saying you didn't like it?"

Jiraiya laughed loudly, "Don't scare him, Y/n. He's going to be your new partner."

I whipped back to him and Tsunade, who were both smirking at me, "My new partner? I don't need a partner... I work alone."

My tone took a drastic turn from its previous cheerfulness. I guess my good mood had a quick expiration date.

"It's good to see you haven't changed after all these years," the masked man said coldly.

"Y/n, you've been gone a long time. Kakashi is going to help you integrate back into the village."

"I don't want to integrate into the village. I want to go on missions, and then I want to go home."

"Does she even know what her new assignment is?" Kakashi asked.

"My new assignment? You said I was a jonin... I just assumed I'd be going back to the Anbu."

I heard Kakashi laugh softly.

"Y/n, you've been assigned as a teacher to Team 7. You'll be working with Kakashi who is also their teacher."

My eyes widened at the revelation, "A-a teacher?"

"Yes," Tsunade threw over some folders. "To Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, and Sasuke Uchicha."

"Sasuke?" I whispered softly, flipping through the pages.

"I-I don't think I can do that," I said, barely audible, as I passed the folders back to her.

I saw Kakashi eyeing me carefully, and I couldn't tell how much he knew.

"Y/n, we truly believe this is what's best for you," Tsunade explained.

"Why don't I help Shikamaru's team, instead?" I offered, desperate to be assigned anywhere but with team 7.

"Shikamaru is doing quite well with Asuma Sarutobi as his sensei. He is with the Akimichi and Yamanaka students as well."

I anxiously glanced between Jiraiya and Tsunade, trying to silently convey to them how terrible this all was.

I can't be with Itachi's younger brother. Not after leaving him here alone and then failing to bring home Itachi.

"Y/n, I think team 7 will be excited to have you around," Tsunade reassured.

"Isn't that right Kakashi!?" Jiraiya called, trying to ease the tension.

"I don't know that they'll care either way," Kakashi said blankly.