Chapter 15

Five days after Reyna had come to the conclusion of taking Helios to his mother, the princess was once again called into the throne room. For five blissful days, the only people she had had to deal with was Marie, Carm, and Lilith. The first three days consisted of bed rest and research on everything relating to the land of magic, whether it was history, geography, or miscellaneous information about the species that could be found there. Much of it was outdated, but Helios was able to help a little. On the fourth day, Lilith came to take Reyna's stitches out, and she was finally able to go down to her gardens. She spent the whole day there with Helios, who immensely enjoyed the fresh air.

On the fifth day, Marie came running in, causing Helios to scramble towards the closet to hide, rambling about needing to get to the throne room. Luckily she was already dressed for the day, so all Marie had to do was Reyna's unruly hair. Since she was wearing a simple brown dress with white sleeves that went to her elbows, the lady in waiting just put her hair in a simple bun. With her hair up, Reyna's exposed neckline was much more pronounced, but she paid it no heed.

Marie quickly ushered her out of the room without a second glance. There was a tense silence settled over the pair, that Reyna realized was actually over the entire castle, as if everyone was holding their breath. "Do you know what this is about?" Reyna asked. She didn't want any surprises, and Marie always knew what was going on.

"When are you coming back?" Helios whined in Reyna's head, but she tried to ignore it. Over the last few days, the two had played around with the bond, and the princess had luckily figured out how to block Helios out and keep him from listening to all her thoughts.

Patience, little dragon. Reyna sent back before closing her mind off completely.

"Well," Marie started going on about who she heard something, and who they heard from, and so on.

"Can we get to the point?" Reyna interrupted while looking around the desolate halls. She had the sudden feeling that somebody was about to pop out and scare them.

"Right, right," Marie muttered. "Apparently there's going to be a wedding soon." The words registered in Reyna's mind, but didn't get fully processed.

"Really? Who's?" She asked absentmindedly. Court gossip wasn't really Reyna's thing, unless it involved her.

"Yours, dumbass."

"Wait, what?" Her wedding to Lord James. Shit. She totally forgot about that small problem.

Before Marie could say anything more, the two were met by four guards standing post at the throne room doors that were pushed open. Inside courtiers and other nobles loitered about. The room was alive with the buzz of chatter. Everybody seemed excited, happy even.

Trumpets sounded and somebody announced Reyna's entrance, causing everyone in the room to split giving her room to walk. Carefully crafting a soft smile on her face, the princess walked into the room with Marie behind her. At the end, she could see the Lord and King, both looking way too happy. It was a bit concerning, and made Reyna's insides squirm, or maybe that was just her under the hundreds of gazes.

Once she reached the King he began to speak, but Reyna tuned it out. Instead, she focused on the dragon that was currently banging on her mental door. She swung it open. What? She yelled exasperated. Dealing with her father and James was getting on Reyna's nerves, and Helios wasn't helping.

"I know we just went over the maps, but I was wondering how are we getting there?"

We're going to follow the river north, the head east to the Queen's city. Reyna sent the plan through the doorway. They'd already gone over the plan so many times, she was surprised it wasn't engraved into his head.