Chapter Fourteen

The next day, Loki acted like nothing had happened between us. Things went back to how they were. Our friendship was still easy, but Natasha was right. I still wondered what it would be like to kiss him. To be the person he loved, to wake up next to him each morning.

I tried to shake my thoughts by baking. I made some brownies because I knew that Loki can't decline chocolate. The process went well, and I didn't even burn any. Only myself, but it was fine.

I placed the brownies on a plate. It piled high into the air because I'd made so many batches. The people here (mainly Thor, Loki, and myself) ate like they could never be full.

The smell of the brownies lured some of the Avengers. Sam and Bucky were the first to arrive.

"Are these poisoned?" Sam asked.

I laughed.

"Only the ones that you have," I joked.

Sam's eyes widened, making Bucky and me laugh. Loki walked into the kitchen and I stopped laughing. Bucky noticed and turned to see what I was looking at.

"Hey, Loki," Bucky greeted.

"Hello, Bucky. Sam. Y/n," Loki said formally.

Maybe things weren't quite the same between us. I didn't want things to be like this. So tense, and strained. I wanted things to go back to the way they were, or for something more to happen. Not this.

I brushed past Loki on my way to my room. I heard footstep and knew that Loki was following me. I reached my room when Loki grabbed my wrist.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

Loki looked taken aback.

"I just wanted to see how you were," he said softly, looking hurt.

I knew I shouldn't take my anger out on him, but he was the one causing the anger.

"I'm doing great," I said sarcastically. "My best friend is playing with my emotions."

Loki looked shocked.

"I – I am not playing with your emotions," Loki said angrily.

"Oh yeah? What was last night about, then?" I snapped.

I opened my door to leave the conversation but was blown back by an explosion. Loki jumped into action, grabbing me by my waist and swinging me around so that he was shielding me with his body. The force of the explosion knocked us over and Loki landed on top of me. Gunshots went off and I instinctively raised a shield over Loki and I. I felt bullets fire against my shield. Loki got off of me and I saw that an entire squad of Hydra agents were shooting at us. I expanded my shield quickly and used it to push the Hydra agents over. Loki and I quickly raised the alarm and took care of the agents. By the time everyone else had arrived, all of the agents were unconscious.

"Does someone want to explain what's going on?" Steve asked.

"Hydra attack," I replied. "Somehow they got into my room. Loki and I fought them off."

I looked around the hall at the bodies and rubble. I glanced at Loki to see that he was holding his arm.

"You're hurt," I said, rushing over to him. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Y/n, Darling, we were in the middle of a battle," he said.

I ignored him and grabbed his arm. I pushed up his sleeve and examined the wound. There was a bullet graze. It was deep but not deadly. I allowed my magic to curl around the injury and heal it.

"Thank you," Loki said quietly once it was done.

I took a deep breath and addressed the team.

"I think you should just hand me over to Hydra," I said quietly.

The was an explosion of protests but I raised a hand to quiet them all.

"I'm putting you all in danger," I said. "It's best if you give me up."

"We put ourselves in danger every day," Natasha said. "This is nothing new."

"We are not giving you up. We don't trade lives," Steve said.

"Well then let me go it alone. Just tell Shield I escaped, or something," I said.

"We are not going to let you go, y/n. I will not let you go," Loki growled.

"You have to, Loki!" I yelled. "If I leave, then things will be better for everyone. I'm not even a good Avenger! People still think I'm a villain! I've seen the tweets and hate mail."

Everyone glanced around at each other.

"You are staying here," Loki snarled.

"No!" I yelled. "I don't want to be the one that puts you all in danger! You guys are my friends!"

"Friends do not let each other sacrifice themselves," Loki hissed.

"Why are you so stubborn?" I snapped.

"You are not leaving," was all Loki said before he entered his room and slammed his door closed.

No one spoke for a few heartbeats.

"You are a good Avenger," Natasha said after the moment of silence.

I huffed and crossed my arms.

"I'll sleep on the couch tonight," I muttered.

I spent the rest of the day in the training room. I didn't eat, and I didn't talk to anyone. The others left to go and see how Hydra got into my room.

After everyone had come back and gone to bed, I walked through the tower to the common room. I found a blanket in one of the cupboards and lay it down on the couch. I lay down and stared at the ceiling. A few hours later, someone entered the room. I looked up to see Loki.

"Take my room," he said. "I will sleep on the couch."

"No," I replied, turning over.

"Why are you so stubborn?" he muttered.

"You're more stubborn," I muttered back.

Loki sighed.

"Please, y/n," he pleaded.

He never pleaded or begged for anything. Ever. I slowly sat up and turned to look at him.

"Fine," I sighed.

I stood up and looked back at the couch. It was way too small to fit Loki comfortably.

"I'm not letting you sleep on that," I said. "We can both sleep in your bed. It's big enough to fit the both of us."

Loki hesitated for a moment before agreeing. We walked to his room in silence. We reached his room and Loki opened the door for me.

"Would – would you like to borrow some sleepwear?" Loki asked.

I looked down at my attire and saw that I was wearing the clothes I'd been wearing all day. The fabric was ripped and bloody.

"Yeah, thanks," I replied.

Loki got out a t-shirt and pyjama pants. I got changed in the bathroom and came out to see Loki had already claimed a side of the bed. I walked to the other side and lifted the blankets to climb in. I caught a glimpse of Loki's bare chest before I got in under the covers.

I fell asleep quickly, soothed by the presence of the green-eyed god beside me.