TWENTY-SEVEN

"Madie, just go talk to him

"Madie, just go talk to him."

I forced my eyes away from Bren's so I could look at Nessa. Her voice was low, her long hair covering half of her face as she peered over at me.

"I don't want to talk to him right now."

She snorted. "True. You just wanna fuc—"

"Wednesday!" I clamped a hand over her mouth and hoped no one else heard, especially Bren.

Nessa shrugged, her laughter muffled beneath my hand. I dropped it, and she said, "The air is so thick with sexual tension that I think I'm gonna choke on it."

"It is not," I insisted before swallowing hard. Bren's gaze was still on me; I could feel it.

A brow rose on my friend's face. "You worked that spoon over pretty good, and I think Bren nearly passed out."

My cheeks flamed for like the fifth time tonight. "Oh my god, shut up."

"Go make-up with him, Madie."

"He—"

"I know what he did. You told me. And you have a right to be mad because he's an idiot for keeping things from you. But he's your idiot. You only have tonight. At least give him a chance to say what he has to say. Don't miss out on everything Bren is doing to you in his mind."

I rolled my eyes and took a bite of my baguette. "He's just pissed I'm ignoring him."

"Well, yeah. There is that. But look at that man, and tell me he isn't thinking about how he wants to give it to you."

I did, daring to peek at Bren.

But it was at that moment that he apparently decided to give up on me. His eyes wandered away to the rest of the ballroom, and I was admittedly and shamefully disappointed. Although, I did get the perfect view of his handsome side profile.

With a glance back at his plate, Bren stabbed a bite of steak and slipped it into his mouth. And then he chewed it, looking around the room again, his jaw clenching as he worked his food over. And god, it shouldn't be hot, but it was.

I couldn't tear my gaze from him. And I think he must have felt it. With a slow turn of his head, those brown eyes landed on me again. They flared as soon as he realized I was watching him. He swallowed his steak. Licked his lips. Mouthed my name, his entire face like a plea. Or at least the parts of it that I could see.

After swearing beneath my breath, I made myself look away. Because Nessa was right, and it was taking all the self-restraint in the world not to go over to there.

Jerking my gaze away again, I looked over his shoulder instead. And that's when I saw another handsome guy staring my way. Except he wasn't looking at me, and my jaw dropped as a realized who it was.