- Chapter 7 -

Mumbo's POV
<Xisumavoid whispers to you> hey, meet at Grian's base. We need another meeting
<You whisper to Xisumavoid> On it!

Mumbo quickly equipped his elytra, running outside and taking a quick jump, taking off into the sky.

He saw Xisuma waiting just outside Grian's base, sitting on some chests. He swooped down to the ground, landing clumsily. Xisuma chuckled at his awkward landing.

Iskall joined them after about ten minutes. Apparently he had been adventuring out into the forest, trying to take his mind off of things.

Mumbo noticed Sam wasn't here yet and turned to Xisuma, "Sam's late."

"I didn't invite him," Xisuma said, rubbing his hands together. "I didn't want him to know we've been sussing him since we met."

"So it was him?" Iskall guessed. Mumbo stared at Xisuma, fearful for the response.

To his relief, Xisuma shook his head. "No. It isn't him. There's no need to be suspicious anymore. The death messages have stopped, meaning last time was most likely an accident. Grian lost his communicator, we know that. So he must've run away."

Mumbo blinked. It made sense, but it just.. didn't feel right. Grian had always been happy, a joyful sack of energy. He wouldn't run away.

Would he?

Iskall hummed thoughtfully. He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Mumbo felt the same way. What else could they say, anyway?

"So.. Sam is safe?" Mumbo asked for confirmation.

Xisuma nodded. "Sam is safe."

"So that means one of the other Hermits did this, or something snuck its way into the server," Iskall listed, counting on his fingers. "Orrrrr he ran away."

"But Grian wouldn't run away," Mumbo argued. "He loves it here. We're all his friends. Why would he have any reason to run away?"

"Good point," Iskall agreed with a nod, looking thoughtful. He groaned. "Argh, this is making my brain hurt."

"Well if he hasn't run away and it wasn't Sam, we need to question all the hermits," Xisuma concluded. "We need to make a list of who's the most suspicious."

"I have a little list already," Iskall spoke up, raising his hand. "A few days before he disappeared, multiple hermits got into a fight with him."

Xisuma stared at him, then looked at Mumbo, then back at Iskall, shocked. "I- what?? How?!"

Mumbo shrugged.

"Me, Mumbo, Scar, Doc and Impulse," Iskall said. Mumbo felt a bit hurt to be on the list, but yeah, made sense. He was the one who called Grian over.

His heart sunk. If he hadn't shouted at Grian that first time, none of this would've happened. Grian wouldn't have felt the need to apologize, and therefore wouldn't have forgotten his things at Mumbo's base.

Mumbo face-palmed, making Iskall and Xisuma glance at him. This was no time for the blame game. They needed to find Grian.

"I highly doubt it'd be Mumbo," Xisuma hummed thoughtfully. "He gave us the information. He's literally the only reason we know where Grian disappeared."

"Good point," Iskall agreed, while Mumbo nodded.

"I could never hurt Grian," Mumbo swore, his mind shying away from when he lost his temper and slapped Grian.

"It isn't Scar or me either," Iskall continued for Xisuma. "We were fixing Scar's base after it'd been destroyed. He can vouch."

"We need to review the other hermits," Xisuma concluded.

"Well, where should we start?" Mumbo asked, tilting his head.

Xisuma stood up from his seat on the chests, a serious look in his eyes. "False, Joe and Ren."

> - - >

Joe looked extremely confused as they sat him down. They'd quickly put together an interrogation building.

Iskall was standing outside the door, ready to let them out at any time. Sam and Mumbo were sitting in front of Joe, looking at him from across the small table. A lantern hung over Joe's seat, illuminating the room.

Xisuma hadn't been able to make it, so Sam dropped his schedule of whatever he was going to do and filled in.

"So, you know about Grian's disappearance, don't you?" Mumbo started, drumming his hands along the sturdy table.

"I'm pretty sure we all know by now," Joe nodded slightly, his eyes flashing with worry.

"A few weeks ago, specifically the 7th, where were you and what were you doing?"

"I was exploring the Nether with Etho," Joe answered, tilting his head a bit. "I got bored so I figured, hey, why not explore a bit? I had nothing else to do, to be fair. And Etho came around at the perfect time so I invited him along."

"When did you guys go into the Nether?" Sam asked, his eyes narrowed suspiciously. Mumbo cast a sideways, warning glance at the new hermit.

"Around noon," Joe guessed, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "The sun was in the middle of the sky, I think."

"How'd you guyd get into the Nether if the portal was blown up?" Sam demanded. Mumbo shot him a confused look. He knew about the explosion?

"There's more than one portal, you spoon," Mumbo sighed, shaking his head.

Sam sat back in his chair, giving him a flat expression. "oh."

"So, Joe, before you two went to the Nether, did you speak to Grian at all that day? Or a few days before?" Mumbo questioned, taking control back over the situation.

Joe shook his head.

"Thanks, Joe," Mumbo nodded slightly.

He stood up, walking over and knocking on the locked door. Iskall appeared in the small window, and suddenly the door opened.

"Wait- you guys think one of the hermits kidnapped him?" Joe spoke up, his eyes widening.

"It may not be any of us," Sam answered before Mumbo could speak. "But there's always the possibility the culprit could be right under our noses."

There was a moment of silence before Iskall commented, "Ominous. Now, we got people to question, c'mon."

Mumbo nodded. The sooner they questioned everyone, the better.

Authors note//
Hello welcome to "Lucky cannot write filler for the life of them"

Anyway this was kind of plot relevant ig idk

Things'll be more interesting next chapter i promise