Chapter 17: Journey to Gerudo

Link and Zelda got on Epona at the gates of Rito Village, and rode off into the night.

"You dueled Revali earlier today?" Zelda asked in surprise "Who won?"

"Nobody" Link replied "We were rudely interrupted by monsters"

"Well, that may be a good thing" Zelda pointed out "I mean, you could've injured each other had you not been stopped"

"Yeah yeah" Link sighed as they rode Epona past the creepy Ancient Columns, where Black Moblins could be heard roaring.

They crossed Tanagar Canyon into Ridgeland again, and made their way back to Hyrule Field as they rode past the monster bases in the Breach of Demise.

Once in Hyrule Field, they left Epona at Lon Lon Ranch.

"We can take care of her!" the ranch owner Talon said

"Yes" Link replied "We're going to Gerudo, and horses can't go there"

Talon's young daughter Malon approached Epona

"What a delightful horse this is! She'll be just fine here!

"Bye Epona!" Link waved at his horse, and he walked with Zelda to the southwest end of Hyrule Field, where the Regencia River flowed out of the Great Plateau.

"Digdogg Suspension Bridge" Zelda observed "They say on this large rocky bridge there lies a Red Hinox"

"Hope we don't run into it" Link chuckled "That wouldn't be good"

Link turned around to see a great Red Hinox standing before him, looking angry as it had been awakened from its slumber.

"Run!" Link yelled, and Link and Zelda ran south for Gerudo Valley.

"Funny!" Zelda said "Impa told me that there was a Gerudo Fortress located here, to keep out Agahnim's soldiers"

"Well, it's clearly not there anymore" Link observed

"Yeah" Zelda agreed

They crossed the bridge that went over a small stream, and crossed into the Gerudo Province and entered Gerudo Canyon.

"Wow" Zelda said "Looks like there must've been a huge mining operation here once"

"Yeah" Link agreed

"Probably when they excavated Divine Beast Vah Naboris, the mechanical Sheikah machine my mother's old friend Urbosa piloted

"Ok" Link replied "She must be the Gerudo Champion in my picture"

"Yeah" Zelda agreed "She actually has a power called Urbosa's Fury where she can summon lightning according to Impa, and she is the Chief of the Gerudo Tribe"

"So we'll meet her by Gerudo Town?" Link asked

"Yeah" Zelda replied "She should be there"

"Watch out Zelda!" Link jumped sideways and knocked over Zelda to prevent them from being crushed by a falling boulder

"Thank you, Link!" Zelda exclaimed "You really are a hero!"

"I guess you could say that" Link replied "How long until we reach Gerudo Desert?"

"Not sure" Zelda replied "I wish I had a map installed in the Sheikah Slate"

"Stop right there"

A familiar face stood before Link and Zelda

"Misko" Link grumbled

"Yes, it is I, the Great Bandit" Misko replied "And I have new treasure"

Misko held up a white egg with green spots on it

"They call it, Yoshi's Egg" Misko said "I obtained it from a mystical land on the other side of the world"

"How-"

"Did I say I was taking questions? No, I don't believe I did. I'll be off now"

Misko vanished into smoke once more, and Stalfos rose out of the ground with salvaged swords and shields

Zelda got out her twin swords and Link readied his Knight's Broadsword.

"Hyah!"

Link sliced at the Stalfos, knocking its head away.

It reached for its head, put It back on, and was ready for battle again.

"You can't kill a Stalfos unless you hit its head!" Zelda reminded Link

"Okay"

Link drew his Knight's Bow, and fired arrows at the Stalfos.

The first few arrows missed and hit the Stalfos's shield, but Link eventually managed to hit the Stlalfos's head.

The Stalfos fell into pieces and exploded in purple fume.

"Hey, Listen!" Navi said to Link

"Huh?" Link scanned around Gerudo Canyon, but he didn't see anything "What's wrong Navi?"

"Who's Navi again?" Zelda asked, looking up from the Sheikah Slate

"She's a fairy" Link explained "I got lost in the Lost Woods and some Kokiri kids took me to a giant talking tree, who gave me Navi"

"Okay...." Zelda replied "By the way, I have a question for you"

"Yes?" Link asked

"Well, I've been meaning to ask, what are you thinking about right now?"

"Well" Link replied "My focus is finding the rest of these Champion people, and stopping Agahnim and the Yiga Clan"

"Okay" Zelda replied "But what are your thoughts about me?"

"Well, you're a nice friend" Link admitted "I'm glad I no longer have to be alone out in the wilderness"

"Okay" Zelda replied "I just wanted to make sure you didn't find me annoying or something"

"Nope" Link said "You're a friend. Not annoying at all"

Link and Zelda continued walking through Gerudo Canyon, and they reached the end where the Gerudo Desert stretched out

"They say there are other countries beyond the vast Gerudo Desert" Zelda told Link "The Desert covers almost the entire Gerudo Province, and is insanely large. Hyrule is never invaded by outsiders from the south because most outsiders get lost in the desert and picked off by Moldugas"

"Wow" Link said "Glad I'm not an outsider"

Link and Zelda proceeded into the Gerudo Desert

Soon, the got to the Kara Kara Bazaar, a place for male travelers since males were banned from Gerudo Town after a Gerudo King of old was banished for crimes.

"Something'swrong at the Kara Kara Bazaar" Zelda frowned "For a busy business area, itseems unusually silent"