6.

Chapter Six:

In the early morning light, Harry is sprawled over his bed on his stomach. His chin is placed in the palm of his hand and his green eyes are lazily peering down at a small, but thick book. It's an old thing, with wrinkled and yellow-y pages that are filled with names and their meanings. His hair is back to its normal dark colour, which is a weird relief. Harry's snakes are arguing just ahead of him, circling around each other on the dark brown carpet.

"Master likes me better," Black and Green declares.

"Yeah? Well Master said my scales are beautiful," Red and Yellow raises her head a little higher, she makes the snake equivalent sound to a 'hmph.'

"W-well Master thinks I'm funny!" Black and Green hurries to add, stumbling over his words.

Harry laughs at the two quietly and returns his attention back to the book. He skims over a few names before he stumbles upon 'Nimmy.' It's Hindi and apparently means friend of fire. Harry thinks it's a good enough name for Red and Yellow. Her scales are red and yellow and her eyes are a weird mix between bright orange and neon yellow. Her colours scream Gryffindor. Her attitude on the other hand, screams Slytherin. The phrase 'a wolf in sheep's clothing' comes to mind. It makes Harry grin.

"What about Nimmy?" He asks, slipping into parseltongue.

The two snakes stop bickering and both raise their heads towards him. "Nimmy?" They chorus.

"Yeah." Harry says and nods towards Red and Yellow. "For you." He elaborates. "It means friend of fire."

"Friend of-" Black and Green cuts himself off with an obnoxious laugh. He falls backwards onto his back, showcasing off his green belly as he wiggles on the carpet in hissy laughter. His colours matched Slytherin so well and yet he acted like such a Gryffindor.

Nimmy coils and sways her head from side to side, like she's readying herself for an attack. She unhinges her jaw, fangs flashing from the sunlight pooling I'm from the window.

"Nimmy!" Harry calls in a warning tone.

Immediately the Red and Yellow snake snaps her jaw shut and lowers herself to the carpet. She flickers her tongue out, tastes the disappointment floating through the air from her Master and curls into herself. The snake even goes as far as to hide her face into her scales.

Harry turns his gaze towards Black and Green. "And you," he starts off, "shouldn't be laughing at your sister like that."

Black and Green flickers his own tongue out and then curls into himself, lowering his head against his scales. "Sorry Master," he apologises, "sorry Nimmy."

He then hesitantly slithers closer to Nimmy and nuzzles his face against the back of the females head. He pulls away when Nimmy raises her head. She hisses out a quiet, "idiot," and nuzzles her snout against her brothers.

"Besides," Harry peers down at his book and quickly thumbs through it, an amused smile gracing his lips, "your name isn't all that better."

Nimmy flicks his tail behind her. "That isn't much of a surprise, Master."

Snorting, Harry decides to name Black and Green after the first name he sees once he turns to one of the end pages. "It's Verde," he says, "means green."