40| Proposal

Chapter 40: Proposal (Archer's POV)

We were entering the palace after an exhausting day at Cherie when Evelyn and I, who were walking ahead of everyone both halted. Which led everyone behind us to bump into us. We moved aside staring ahead in confusion. There's a sight to see. 

A poor guy just standing there while guards, my family, and every single member of staff surround him. 

"What the-" Evelyn mumbled before gasping in realization. She moved back, finding Mila, grabbing her arm and pulling her to the front while whispering in her ear. 

Oh, I get it. He's her boyfriend. 

Oh. 

"What is going on?" I asked, rushing over to him and immediately excusing the staff and some of the guards. 

"This young man had just waltzed into the palace. The guards tried asking him to leave but he wouldn't listen, kept insisting that he's here for his girlfriend, and refused to believe there was no girl here already in a relationship with someone else," my mother explained angrily, glaring at him. 

"What's your name?" I asked. 

"Joshua, but I go by Josh. Look, I don't know what this lady is talking about," he sighed. 

"That lady is the queen," I mumbled. 

His mouth formed an 'O' while he muttered an apology for the disrespect. If it even was that. "I'm here for my girlfriend! And she called me, I didn't come on my own. She's here, she has to be!" 

"If it was Carol, we've sent her home," my dad said, frowning in confusion. 

"Carol? Who the hell is that?" he groaned, running his palms down his face. 

I watched as Mila stood at the very back, hiding behind the others and watching in amusement, just her red hair that was up in an elegant bun standing out. I shook my head in amusement, turning to him. "Right, I'm Archer, nice to meet you," I nodded, shaking his head. 

"You too, man, sorry! Your majesty." He bowed his head. 

I chuckled, "No need for that. And I know who you're here for," I nodded. 

"You do?" he asked, surprised. 

I nodded again. 

"Is she here? Can I see her? Has she been okay? Did she miss me?" he rambled. "You may not know, nevermind," he mumbled. 

"She's here, you can see her, she's been great, and she's missed you a lot," I laughed. 

"She's probably watching and trying not to laugh right now, I should know," he shrugged, looking up at the staircase, thinking she was peeking. 

"A little lower, buddy," I mumbled. 

He looked down then turned around, looking at all the girls, spotting her immediately. It's like he didn't even see any of the others, just her. "I hate you," he shook his head, narrowing his eyes at her while she stepped forward. 

My family stared in shock while she ran over, throwing her arms around his neck. He grabbed her waist, tightly squeezing her before loosening his grip. 

"I missed you," she laughed. 

"I missed you too," he mumbled. 

Evelyn made sure all the princesses gave them their privacy, and I made sure my parents did too. I took them into my father's study and explained. 

"Mila has her heart elsewhere?" my grandmother frowned in confusion. 

I nodded, "I've known since the first day. She told me right away. But I couldn't send her home, she's one of the only girls I can tolerate. I invited him," I shrugged, half lying. I didn't invite him but I allowed her to. I just can't throw her under the bus.