Chapter 46

Weeks had passed since their first date, and Elsie and Benjy had become closer then ever. They've been owling each other at least once a day and going on dates at least once a week, enjoying every second they had together. As much as it hurt her to admit it, all and every thought of James was pushed to the back of her head. Instead, images of a messy haired, brunette boy with olive skin and a perfect smile danced around in her mind. And for once in her life, she was finally able to admit that she was genuinely happy with someone.

It was March 9th, the day before Remus' birthday, and Elsie was currently hanging out in the Marauders dorm with her 4 boys until it was time for her date with Benjy. She was tucked under James' arm while sitting on his old bed with him, as the other 3 boys sat on their respective beds.

"Moony, you're going to be off the walls when you see what we got you for your birthday," Sirius chuckled while placing his hands behind his head and resting on his headboard.

"If it's anything like last year, I don't want it," Remus' face paled and he put his book down as he spoke in a disgusted tone, "Bloody life-size wolf cuddly toy."

"Oh come on, Moony. It was cute!" James teased while taking his free hand and intertwining his fingers with Elsie's.

For the first time in as long as she could remember, Elsie had no reaction to James' skin on hers. His touch no longer made her freeze up or stop breathing. It no longer was an addiction that made her crave more. She was finally back in control of her body, and James finally didn't have an effect on her. James and Elsie, in Elsie's mind, were now just simply two best friends. And this time, she didn't cringe at the words playing over in her mind. Best friends...

So with a renewed smile on her face, she rolled her eyes and nudged her best friend with her elbow while sarcastically speaking, "Yes, because every boy wants a reminder of the thing he's scared of most."

"Well, it was better than your gift," Sirius teasingly pointed at her, "You got him a bloody book."

"That bloody book just so happened to be the best gift I have ever gotten," Remus defended Elsie, sending her an appreciative smile.

"Well don't worry, Remmy. We've all pitched in on the gift this year, so I know it won't be terrible," Elsie smirked knowingly, remembering what the 4 friends had gotten Remus.

"Yup," James puffed his chest out while giving a heroic smile, "It was picked out by yours truly."

"And, by yours truly he means Elsie," Peter chuckled from his bed as Elsie rolled her eyes and smacked James playfully on the back of his head.

"Anywayssss," Elsie dragged out, getting up from James' old bed and walking towards the door, "I'll be back I have to get ready for my date."

James sadly smiled as he nodded his head in acknowledgement, watching his best friend disappear out of the room.

"You okay, Prongs?" Remus softly asked while looking over at James with an apologetic look on his face.

"Erm...yeah," he slowly said, anxiously scratching the back of his neck, "Of course."

Knowing James wouldn't want to talk about it, the other 3 boys looked over at him and began a whole other conversation, trying to take his mind off of Elsie.

The small brunette quickly made her way back to her dorm, where she found Marlene and Alice laying on their beds.

"Hiya, love," Alice smiled at Elsie as she saw her friend walking into the room, "Alright?"

"Of course she's alright," Marlene smirked while wiggling her eyebrows at Elsie, "She's got a date with that older, fit boy."

"He's only older by a year," Elsie rolled her eyes while chuckling at her blonde friend, "He is quite handsome though, so I can't argue with that."