Part 21

Conrad moved so fast she swears time had stopped.

She had leapt over the barrier between her and Charlotte and Atlas and Meg, with Charlotte throwing herself after her to try to restrain her.

She barely manages to grab her friend before Conrad makes it to Atlas, her claws out and her teeth descended.

"Order," one of the men roars, and a guard comes over to Charlotte, raising a brow.

"No, it's okay," Charlotte pants, tugging Conrad back.

She forces her into her seat, and Conrad yanks her blazer off, her chest heaving with rage and frustration.

"What do you mean, no?" One of the women asks irritably.

Everyone had been hoping this would be a short case so that they could all have the evening off; both candidates had been shown to have new partners and seemed to have no interest in remaining together.

That was true for Conrad. She wanted to move on with her life, but Atlas seemed to have other ideas.

"I do not consent to the dissolution," he simply says, and Conrad can't stop the angry growl that escapes from her throat.

"And why not?" One of the men asks, and Atlas shrugs, keeping quiet.

"Miss Rosser, what do you have to say about this?" Maria asks sharply, her beady eyes following Conrad's every move.

"I am determined to have this bond broken. Alpha Adamo cannot have both his chosen mate and me. I want to move on with my life, and I cannot do that if he is allowed to do whatever he wants," Conrad informs them, trying to keep the anger out of her tone.

"I do agree with her, it is unfair for him to have two mates," Maria drawls, never moving her gaze from Conrad.

"And why not? It's not my fault my chosen mate fell pregnant," Atlas argues, and Charlotte rises, her face bright pink with irritation.

"I would like to object. He keeps referring to her as his chosen mate, meaning he has chosen her. If he can choose his mate, why can Miss Rosser not choose to leave their relationship and obtain a bond-breaking?" Charlotte points out, and Conrad gives her a tight smile.

She doesn't think she could form a sentence half as clear and Charlotte did; she's on the verge of committing murder as it is.

Jane might be dormant, but Conrad forced that half shift.

"Miss Rosser, who is this speaking on your behalf? Girlfriend?" One of The Society members asks in confusion.

"Best friend, companion," Conrad responds through her still-gritted teeth.

"Well, I agree with her," Laurie, the red-head comments, shrugging her shoulders loftily.

"She is his mate. The Goddess doesn't make mistakes," Treasure remarks, a look of disgust on his face.

"We will adjourn for half an hour to discuss in chambers. Rosser and Adamo, stay nearby, you may be summoned to give testimony," Elizabeth announces, and The Society shuffles out of the room.

"They look like peacocks," Charlotte comments, her eyes wide as she gazes at the colourful outfits.

One of them looks over his shoulder after hearing that remark, and chuckles deeply, causing Charlotte to blush a bright red colour.

"Come on, let's go stand in the freezing cold," Conrad grumbles, hauling her friend up from her seat and walking out of the room with her friend on her arm.

"Connie, it's too cold," Charlotte whimpers, tightening her leather jacket around herself to try and maintain some sort of warmth.

"Here," one of the guards mumbles, handing her a blanket from one of the benches.