Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Rosana's body ached after a day of training which consisted of painting Mr. Miyagi's house with a side of Daniel's insistent complaining.

Rosana couldn't help but chuckle, Then again what's new?

This Sunday morning after they had gotten dressed and Rosana had grabbed Daniel's old bicycle helmet; the complaining began.

He refused to drive with her on Johnny's bike but of course, she said that it would be faster and if he didn't she would tell Ma that he ate all her chocolates this morning. Yes, yes, she definitely resorted to good ol' blackmail; works every time.

"What's so funny?" Daniel grumbled from his side of the last wall they were painting.

Rosana shakes her head with a smile that remained on her face since this morning after receiving Johnny's 'gift'. Okay, the smile hadn't left her lips since last night but who's keeping track, right?

"Nothing."

"Could you stop smiling? It's really starting to creep me out."

Rosana gaped dramatically and flicked a little paint on her brother who laughed at her. And she expected him to throw some back at her like earlier but then he groans, "My arms are too sore to throw paint."

Rosana sympathised with him seeing as she was just as sore but she had begun to like the burn in her muscles and the exhaustion at the end of the day. It told her that she was making progress and she was getting closer to her goal: getting stronger and being able to defend herself.

She doesn't tell Daniel to suck it up even though what they did today couldn't compare to the drilling exercises Johnny and the others had her do. On her first week of training to get her into shape they used gruelling workouts in preparation for karate when she had been embarrassingly knocked down by the punching bag.

She had complained about the exercises being a bit too much and unnecessary, only for Johnny to give her a stern look and said, "If you want to learn karate, you have to do as I say or leave it altogether."

Deep down, very, very deep down past the pained muscles, aching joints and exhaustion, she was glad that Johnny wasn't going easy on her because she was a girl. And right now, since training with Mr. Miyagi, she was very grateful for the training they had done the previous month.

***

Rosana collapses face-first onto her bed in only a towel around her body as her damp skin soaked in the cool air while her wet tresses covered the sides of her face. Her eyes closes as deep exhaustion hits her the second her body touches the bed.

With the last remaining energy in her body, she had raced to the toilet first to take a shower before Daniel. She felt gross and stank so bad that even her nose began to itch slightly at the combined smell of her and Daniel.

"Rose! Phone!"

Rosana groans as she sluggishly got up, "Who is it?!" She calls from her room.

"It's Loverboy, darling."

Rosana's half-lidded eyes were suddenly wide open as she quickly finds her pyjamas and puts it on along with her underwear before she's racing out of the room; her sore muscles only an afterthought to the excitement coursing through her veins at the thought of Johnny calling.

Rosana sits comfortably on the couch next to the telephone as she takes the handle of the phone from her mother, "Thanks, Ma."

Rosana waits till her grinning and winking mother leaves before she speaks. She was about to greet when Johnny whispers in a conspiring tone, "Your Ma gone yet?"