Chapter 39: What the hell?!

Stanley: read note at the beginning of chapter 23.

Chapter 39:
What the hell?!

Hailey's POV

"Wow, I thought I'd never see you again." I look up from my notebook to see Eloise taking a seat beside me as quietly as possible seeing as she is practically ten minutes late for class.

"I do not tolerate tardiness in my class and I hate it the more when you started disrupting by talking," Mr Kendrick, obviously having noticed El sneak in, raises his voice louder than usual in a reprimanding tone without looking up from his laptop in the front of the lecture room. "Do I make myself clear, Miss...?" He looks up from the laptop and stares directly at El.

"Ms Hunter," El tells him with a forced smile. "And yes, Sir," she rolls her eyes when Mr Kendrick takes his attention back to the lesson.

I just smile in amusement and get back to taking notes.

"So?" El whispers beside me eagerly. "What made you disappear into thin air and suddenly return from the dead?" She takes out her own notebook, textbook and a pen, before she starts copying down my notes.

I'm in no mood of the subject she wants to discuss, especially in the middle of class. I don't owe her any information, more specifically, this information because I can trust no one with it. And I've began not to trust many people because that only gives those people you trust room to betray and hurt you.

"I wasn't feeling well," I whisper back to her without looking away from the projected screen Mr Kendrick is using to teach. I basically told her a fifth of the truth, so that should count as something.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asks. "I could've been there to make sure you have the best time while sick. We could've watched Netflix together while eating junk food. Well, I doubt you had an appetite so I probably would've eaten all the food."

I laugh at her words. "I didn't wanna bother you or anyone for that matter," I shrug and put down my pen. "Tristan was there anyway."

"Tristan, huh?" She raises a suggestive eyebrow at me. "Is there anything going on between you two?" She nudges my upper arm with her elbow.

Should I tell her the truth? Probably not because she's sort of close to Sam now, and also because I'm not ready to tell anyone that I'm back again with Tristan. I'm not insecure about our relationship, neither do I doubt Tristan's affection, I just want to remain under the radar for now and take things slow with him. I want us to first enjoy our secret relationship before we face the drama that'll undoubtedly come once we tell the others about us.

"No," I lie to El and I even scrunch my face to a look of confusion just to cover up my lie. "Why would you think that?"

"Well, you guys seem pretty—"

"Ms Hunter, if you don't want to be in my class then I suggest you leave," Mr Kendrick cuts her off, agitation thickly layered onto his face.

El sends him an apologetic look and bows her head to look at her notebook, and I notice a faint blush appear on her cheeks probably because of embarrassment.

I mentally thank Mr Kendrick for saving me from El's interrogation and  I get back to concentrating on the lecture.

"We're not done talking about this," El whispers very quietly to me and I groan internally and regret counting my chickens to early.

The lesson is soon over and El and I are walking down to the cafeteria. She's babbling on and on about a hoodie she saw two days ago at the mall and how she would love to buy it but can't at the moment. Not going to lie, I'm barely paying attention to what she's saying as my mind is fixed on meeting with Tristan in an hour and a half.