Chapter 4 Working is Hard!

The day started early. The sun wasn't even quite up yet and her father had already gently woken her up to work in the field. Kotori quickly readied herself and soon they set off along the dirt roads through the multiple paddies. Kotori took note of her surroundings and took the time to ask her father about them.

To the north of the house, there was a large thicket, which was likely where much of the firewood was gathered. The south of the house had a small road that apparently if you walked for a bit would lead to a nearby village. Incidentally, Kotori's family was a little different insofar as they didn't live near the village like most people. Most villagers lived within a 15-30 minute walk to the village, but her family instead preferred to live closer to the forest. The soil was a little better here so we a more to eat than our village-living counterparts. On the other hand, it also means we were more isolated from them.

The count's house was also in the village and her father said that he would take her there sometime when we visited the village next week.

The work itself was not easy. They were going to be spending the day digging new paddies and although the soil was soft and supple, it still was back-breaking work for an adult man, let alone a small girl.

Stabbing her stone shovel into the ground once against, she noticed a curious phenomenon. Despite not moving the soil shifted and rolled.

"Ahh!" She jumped back in surprise and soon the dirt formed itself into a rabbit shape and scampered off.

She heard the sounds of her father laughing behind her.

"What's so funny she said indignantly"

"Well, You've never been scared of a dirt spirit before" He leaned his own shovel grinning

"don't worry, it's good luck, it means the soil is healthy."

"I don't want luck I want karma" Kotori muttered as she stabbed the dirt with a renewed vigor

As the sun approached midday her father told her it was time for a break. Which Kotori accepted happily

The break was well-timed and the rays of the midday sun were very comfortable when paired with the slight chill in the air.

As she laid in a nearby grass field she felt something crawl on her leg. Sitting up she saw a dirt mouse carefully skittering along her leg.

Just as she was about to swat it away she felt a wave of friendliness

She wondered if this was the same earth spirit her brother had caught yesterday,

[Are you from yesterday] She projected onto the mouse.

The Mouse began to nod vigorously nod its head; She then felt a feeling of comfort as if she was in the presence of her parents.

[Don't tell me this damn thing imprinted on me like I'm its mom]

As she looked at the mouse her suspicions were confirmed when it began to nuzzle her leg.

[Looks like I've made a pet]

Accepting the fact that the spirit had attached to her she began to think of a name.

After thinking for a while she decided to name the spirit "Shu"

[Your name is Shu now] She told the mouse. The mouse looked at her nodding and she was filled with a feeling of acceptance and happiness

[I guess it likes it] She thought

Quickly, she called out "Status" to see the mouse's stat again

Simple Dirt Spirit (Shu)

Race: [Spirit] Age: 1