Four

My ringing phone didn't help my throbbing head as I stirred awake. I turned my head in the direction of the ringtone, realizing someone was calling me. With a grunt, I rolled myself on the edge of my bed and reached for the phone I placed on the bedside table. I squinted my eyes and glared at the phone in front of my face, eyeing the name on the screen. I groaned once I saw who it was.

"Hello..." I greeted lazily, my voice rough from sleep as I clicked the answer button.

"Where are you? Are you busy? Is William in bed with you?" Sydney's disgruntled voice made me flinch as I pushed the phone away from my ear.

"I'm at home. What do you want with me? What time is it?" I replied, pausing as I turned my head on the digital clock near where I placed my phone.

"It's nine, and you need to come over for work. We need your help to finish some of the illustrations and layouts," she replied hurriedly, not bothering to lessen her volume.

"I thought I'm already finished with those. Can't you let someone else do it?" I whined slightly, not feeling the mood to get out of bed. I was back pretty late last night, and the alcohol was starting to set in.

"I can't. Most of them are being an ass, and besides, you'll be paid for the extra time," she muttered in reply and trailed off with an irresistible offer.

My eyes opened widely as my ears perked up in interest. "Is it really okay to have overtime?" I asked.

"Yes. Allison said I can ask anyone to help me out," she replied, sounding a little out of breath. "Now, please! Can you get here as fast as you can?" she added in desperation.

"Okay. I'm up. I'll be there in half an hour or so," I replied, getting out of bed with enthusiasm.

"Good. See you!" She ended the call quickly. Her voice had a hint of relief to them.

I made my way to the shower and cleaned up as fast as I could. When I was done, I grabbed something casual to wear since it's a weekend which was code for 'not wearing anything flashy' day. After putting on my acid wash jeans and navy shirt, I grabbed a comfortable pair of army boots to complete the look. I totally looked like I was ready to go hiking rather than to a magazine company.

When I exited my room, I heard a soft clinking of pots from the direction of the kitchen. I entered the main room and saw my father by the stove stirring something in a pot. I paused for a moment, absorbing the view. Then I cleared my throat as I walked towards him to gain his attention.

"Oh, good morning, peanut. How was your sleep? Did you have fun last night?" he greeted.

I gave him a small assuring smile as I sat down on one of the stools at the kitchen island counter. "I had a good rest, and as for last night, don't even ask," I replied, turning a little sour as I answered the second question.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he offered, eyeing me in worry.

I gave him another smile, turning my head from left to right. "It wasn't something dreadful, Dad... if going along with Terry's mischief is considered not dreadful," I replied with a chortle.

"Ah, I see," he lightly laughed in understanding. Then he glanced down at my outfit, gazing at it for a second. "Are you going somewhere today? I thought the date would be at night," he asked, raising his eyebrow in question.

"William and I wouldn't be meeting this weekend. He's busy with some business meetings," I explained quietly. "I'm heading out to work today. Sydney called me to help her out in the office."

"Oh, okay. Do you want to eat some breakfast before you go?" he asked, turning back his attention to the pot. I wouldn't dare guess what he was making in that pot.