Chapter 54- Breakdown

If you had told a fourteen year old Rose that she would one day be crying in someone's kitchen, she would have laughed and mentioned how she always had control of her emotions. Fifteen year old Rose thought the same thing, yet there she was, sitting in Aaron's kitchen, unable to stop her tears. She had buried her face in her arms, trying to calm herself down to no avail. It felt like the world was closing in, like her chest was tightening making it hard to breath. Aaron had dried off his hands and ran over to try and comfort her, Candace left the room to grab a blanket.
"S-Stark's dead a-and I-I tried to h-help but I c-couldn't s-stop that p-purple b-bastard," Rose had no idea why she was saying those things, why the hell would she outright tell Aaron and his wife she was an Avenger?
She hated feeling weak, there was a reason Rose could count on one hand the amount of times she cried since she escaped Hydra.

Aaron did his best to listen, but he didn't quite understand what Rose was going on about. Sure everyone knew about Iron Man's death, but why was this teenage girl saying she tried to help?
Rose took in a shaky breath and she wiped her eyes again, "I-I mean R-Romanoff and I-I rarely s-spoke but s-she was p-pretty cool when w-we did t-talk. V-Vision d-died and n-now S-Scarlet is all s-sad."
She felt someone wrap a blanket around her, she lifted her head off the table to see Candace gently rubbing circles on her back. Rose broke again in sobs, although she still tried to stay as quiet as possible.
"Take a deep breath," Aaron instructed, he noticed the younger was hyperventilating.
Rose tried, failed, then tried to hide under the blanket in embarrassment. She kept muttering about the Avengers, Hydra, and how tired she was.

Candace pulled a chair up to wrap her arms around the teenager, whispering calming words as she rocked back and forth. Rose normally wasn't a fan of touch, but this time it seemed like that option or pass out. Once the tears started to slow down, Aaron asked the obvious question.
"Rose, can you explain what you mean?"
She didn't say any words, only placing her right hand with her palm facing up on the table. The adults in the room noticed the burn scars, but didn't say anything. Her hand began to glow with a blue light, Rose knew she was in too deep now to act like nothing was wrong. Candace gasped, Aaron went silent.
"T-the N-Nameless Avenger is s-such a shit n-name," Rose muttered, "I d-didn't even p-pick it."
"Rosetta," Candace whispered, "are you serious?"
"I-I wish," Rose sniffled, "S-stupid fucking-," she didn't bother finishing that sentence.

Aaron took Rose's backpack to a different room while Candace stayed with her. When he returned, he gently tapped Rose's shoulder.
"Hey kid it's getting late, you can sleep in the guest bedroom tonight alright? I put your backpack in there," Aaron's voice was gentle like he was speaking to a small child, which Rose couldn't tell if made her angrier or calmed her down.
He led her to a small bedroom in the basement with light grey walls and a full sized bed. Once Candace ensured Rose didn't need anything else, they left her to sleep. She fell asleep almost instantly, curling up under the warm covers without much question.

——————————

When Rose woke up, she brought her hands up to rub her face. The dried tear streaks on her face reminded her of what happened the previous night. She shot up and climbed out of bed, fixing her sweatshirt to try and smooth the wrinkles. She looked around the bedroom, there were paintings of landscapes on the wall she didn't notice before. It made the room seem a bit livelier, far less depressing than it seemed in the dark. Rose grabbed her backpack and walked out the room, running up the stairs into the kitchen. Aaron was awake cooking something and Candace was in a dress shirt and pants as she put documents into a briefcase.
"Good morning," Candace greeted with a smile.
Aaron turned and gave a quick wave as a greeting, looking back at the task at hand.
"Candy is going to work, I have off today," Aaron explained, "Which means it'll just be us here."
As if on cue, Candace said goodbye before rushing out the door.