97. Dmitri?

___________________________

.

.

.

"River?"

River felt her soul leave her body as she jolted awake, her hand already on the grip of the gun she had under her pillow.

"What the fuck, Lia!" She whisper-yelled when she figured out who it was.

"Get up." Michelia said urgently.

River was confused, but she was completely awake at this point so she she did as told, putting on her slippers and taking her gun with her.

"What's wrong?" She asked as the two of them tiptoed to the office. They were not surprised to see Adam on the chair, his eyes on the monitor. The man seemed to have forgotten how to blink.

"What up, Smith?" River spoke as the two entered the room, Michelia reaching for the light switch.

He blinked out of his reverie and stared at both of his sisters in law. "Why are you both awake?"

"The same reason why you are." Michelia said. "I mean, River was woken up by me." She turned to the doctor. "Sorry about that Riv. I know you are exhausted from work."

River shook her head, telling her it was completely fine.

"I don't understand what is going on." Adam sighed. "I wish we could just finish all of this with fists and guns once and for all."

River rolled her eyes. Violence was always the first choice, wasn't it?

But it was also true that the game was very odd, even for her.

It was like they were in an impasse. No one had any idea what was going on - no one knew what the end outcome was going to be.

It was scary and frustrating.

There were a lot of things to worry about but all of them were now concentrating on Alessia going missing because it was the only thing they knew exactly what they wanted - all of them wanted the woman back, safe and sound.

Once Alessia was back, they could worry about Sergey. Of course the Russian Mafia Boss seemed determined to take revenge the old school way - He believed that Mateo took his sister's life and he was going to avenge his sibling's death by taking Mateo's sibling's life, which put Alessia at more danger when she was out in the wild without the protection that her family could offer. But Alessia was a powerful woman and she seemed to be doing a good job keeping away from the Sicilian and Russian Mafia.

But the problem was that there was an unknown threat. The threat who killed Mona and blamed it on Mateo, escalating the tension between the Russian and Sicilian Mafia.

"I don't know why but this new character, Detective Ian Sanders... he confuses me." River sat down on the seat built onto the window, looking down to see the men walking about with flashlights. Of course the security had been quadrupled before the two Capos left in search of their sister.

"Why?" Michelia asked.

"Because he came in and we doubted on him immediately." Adam spoke, understanding what River was trying to say. "It makes me wonder if he is a person to be doubted on, because he would have tried to conceal his motive if he had something to hide."

Michelia sighed - that made sense.

"But I also can't bring myself to believe that he is harmless." River added. She did not think the man was good.

"Maybe he is just a detective trying to put Mateo behind bars." Michelia said.

Adam and River nodded.

"I just hope there is some progress somewhere, because it sucks to be stuck like this." River said.

.

.

.

"Are you that incompetent?" Leonardo winced as the words left his wife's mouth. "You are the fucking Capo of the Chicago unit and you are not able to track her down?" Michelia was watching the twins play with their bodyguards and the three pups while Lorenzo was fast asleep in the crib she had in her room.

"We are trying, Lia." Leonardo sighed. It had been a week since the cousins had reached Chicago and they still had no clue where Alessia was – it was like she found out that they got to know she was in Chicago and decided to disappear into thin air.

Michelia rolled her eyes. "You are not trying enough." She whispered as she walked over to the crib, grabbed the baby monitor and left the room.

Adam was downstairs, spending his day regretting not going to Chicago when he had the chance, like he had been doing ever since the day. He tried to talk his way into going to help them search for Alessia but Michelia shot him down immediately. He needed to know that he had a price to pay for being his petty self.

"That's not fair, Lia." Leonardo said.

It was hard for him and Mateo.

The cousins reminisced the time when everything was so less complicated and they could do whatever they felt like doing. Now they were husband/boyfriend and fathers, and a fear was instilled in them because of it.

Don't get them wrong, they would never have it any other way but the two really was tired of constantly fearing.

They were tired of fear, not the cause of it.

"Life isn't fair, Leo." Michelia stated, reaching the kitchen where she was going to make some sandwiches for her niece and nephew and herself. Adam shall make his own sandwich because she was pettier than he would ever be.

And as for River, the woman was having fun popping bones back in place and saving lives and livelihood.

.

.

It had been a week and the Capos had not managed to get any news on Alessia though it had been confirmed that she had been there in Chicago. They had managed to attain another clip of her from one of weaponries. But the girl was still AWOL.

There had not been any development in New York as well but River was getting more paranoid by the day about the safety of her darling twins. She had even started to consider taking a break from work again and putting off sending the kids to school, because the calm and inactivity was starting to scare her - as if something very big and very bad was going to happen soon.

"We have a GSW to the shoulder!" One of the second-year residents ran to her. River was down at the pit and it had been a fairly busy day.

"Send for scans and prepare the OR." River ordered while swiftly flexing the arm of the little boy who let out a yelp of pain. "Try moving your arm now." She said.

A smile appeared on the boy's face as he realized that it didn't hurt to move anymore. "I am okay now!" He exclaimed.

"Yes, but your arm will be in a cast for three weeks after which we will do some scans and determine what needs to be done next." River smiled and nodded at the mother who had accompanied her kid and now had a look of relief on her face.

"Deal with the rest." River told the nurse before speed-walking to where the new patient was. She pushed the door opened and stopped in her tracks.

"Dmitri?"

.

.

.

________________________________