102. She Will Always Be On My Side

__________________________________

.

.

.

"So, you are not going to tell me what she said to you?" Mateo asked for the nth time. And for the nth time, River gave him a flat look.

"Look Mommy!" Kiara held up her colouring book, in which she had beautifully coloured a picture of Ana from The Frozen.

Based on their personalities, one would think that it was Lucas who would be good at all things but he still coloured outside the line while Kiara did her work with utmost care. It reminded River of herself – she too was super clumsy and always messed up and made a mess out of everything, but when it came to surgery, she could keep her hand in the same position for hours without shaking.

"That's so pretty baby!" River cooed.

"Ki, tell Mommy to tell Papa what's going on." Mateo said.

A 'pfft' came from Adam. He and Lucas were on the couch, Lucas on his lap as they played some game.

"Papa, Mommy will say if she wants to." Kiara said, hugging her mother while River nodded her head, giving Mateo a triumphant look.

"Yeah, no forcing Mommy." Lucas hummed.

Mateo gave his children a flat look. He had really thought that he had won his kids over but it was very evident that when all is said and done, after all that he does for them, these two midgets were Team Mommy.

Yes, he was a little jealous but it was also true that he wouldn't have it any other way.

"They don't even know what this is about." He pouted, and then turned to Adam.

"Aren't you supposed to meet the rest of the Kings with Michelia and Leonardo?"

"I bailed." Adam shrugged. "I don't see why I should be-"

There was a knock on the door.

Mateo got up from his spot and walked over to the door, opening it.

His eyes narrowed immediately.

Detective Ian Sanders gave him a smile. "Is visiting time over?"

"I don't see why you are here."

"It's a GSW case. The police have to be involved, don't you think?"

"I thought I already dealt with the formalities." Adam made Lucas sit down on the couch and got up, making his way to his brother's side.

"Oh did you?" Ian raised his brow turning to the officer next to him, "I wasn't told of this."

River was not at all happy that this man was here. He made her uncomfortable like no other. He was way too obviously suspicious.

"Can we come in?" He raised a brow.

Mateo looked over at River who sighed and nodded.

The two men moved aside so that Ian and the officer can come in.

"This is officer Martin." Ian introduced him.

Lucas moved closer to his mom and climbed onto the bed.

"Beautiful children you have. It's my first time seeing them." Ian took a seat and made himself comfortable.

"Thanks." River gave him a warm smile. This dude was irritating but she believed in killing them with kindness and that was exactly what she was going to do.

"What are your names?" He asked the kids.

As if you don't know. River blinked, hearing her inner voice after a break.

'You are back.' River thought to herself.

For the best. I was away for a while and you managed to get yourself almost killed.

"I am Lucas Johnson." Lucas said, all business like. "And this is my sister, Kiara Johnson."

"Johnson?" He asked, looking between River and Mateo. "Not Adesso?"

"First of all..." All the eyes turned to the door, and everyone was shocked.

"Zia Sia!!!!" Kiara yelled happily. 

It was safe to say that the little girl missed her aunt more than her brother.

"... It is none of your business whose surname the kids take and second of all, what are you asking them in the absence of a lawyer?"

"Sia!" River breathed out.

Adam's whole body went rigid. This little bitch had gone missing for almost a month, Mateo and Leonardo had circled between Chicago and New York trying to find her amidst the danger of Sergey hurting her, and she simply walks in to the hospital room like she had gone out for coffee.

"And you are?"

"Alessia Adesso, the sister." She pointed at a still-shocked Mateo. "Now can you please leave?"

"Don't be rude, Sia." Mateo said though it was clear on his face that he wanted the officers to leave as much as anyone else in the room.

"Alright, we will take this up later." River did not like the tone in which the man said that before leaving.

As soon as the doors closed behind the two men, all eyes turned back to Alessia.

"I will take the kids out." Adam said, his eyes not leaving the most infuriating woman he knew as he reached his arms forward to his niece and nephew who readily went to him. He gave Alessia a lasting look before leaving the room.

"Where were you?" Mateo asked.

"None of your business." Alessia huffed and took a seat on the bed next to River.

"Sia.." River gave her a warning look but Alessia simply shrugged.

"Why are you people pretending like I stay with you guys all the time? I am a free human. I can go wherever I want." She shrugged and side-hugged River. "I am sorry I left you alone. I thought they would keep you safe." She pouted at River which infuriated Mateo even more.

"Sia...." He started.

"Let her be." Mateo was surprised when his girlfriend took her side.

"You are on her side on this?" He asked, disbelief evident.

"She will always be on my side." Alessia rolled her eyes.

.

.

.

______________________________