104. We Need To Talk

_____________________________

.

.

.

"You-" He started but then closed his mouth, clutching his head with his hands.

"I what?" Now, Alessia wanted to punch him. Patience was not exactly her strong suit. She wanted the idiot to get the sermon over with so that she could go back inside and be with her niece, nephew, the woman who was the closest to being her best friend and the idiot brother that came in the package.

"You will never understand how much I want to protect you!" He yelled.

Alessia had opened her mouth to respond to whatever came out of Adam's mouth. But she was not prepared for what she heard. Nor did she know how to respond to that.

Unknown feelings and thoughts swirled in her head, her emotions were too tangled for even her to decipher. She did not know what to do.

So she did the only thing she was used to doing. 

She punched him in the gut. "What bullshit are you saying?" She asked, irritated with her brother's best friend. 

"Owww...." Adam hissed in pain, rubbing where his kidney should be. This woman really was going to handicap him one day.

"Are you deaf?" He asked in exasperation. "Didn't you hear what I just said? Is this how you respond to something that took me all my courage to say?" 

"Yes, this is exactly how I respond to dumb people saying dumb shit!" Alessia glared at him. 

"You are just-" Before Adam could even complete his next words, Alessia crashed her lips to his, taking him completely by surprise. He did not respond. He could not respond. The poor man was in shock. 

He expected some positive reaction to his brave words. But he was not prepared for this. 

He was frozen in his spot. He was immobile. 

Alessia pulled back due to his lack of response and brought her heel down hardly on his toes, making the made man of the Mafia yelp in pain like a puppy. 
"What the hell, woman?" He yelled. 

She took a deep breath and balled his collars in her fist. "Kiss me back or I will castrate you."

Adam gulped, hating how turned on he was by that simple line. 

He grabbed her head with both his hands and brought his lips down on her. 

.

.

.

River chuckled to herself as she watched how awkward Alessia and Adam were around each other. 

The duo were on either side of coffee table, coloring away on the cartoon characters with their niece and nephew.

River was back in the ICU for another day because of post operative jaundice and had been brought back to the room only a couple of hours ago. 

One look at Alessia and Adam and she knew that something had definitely happened between the two of them. 

"Are you really allowed to eat this?" 

River narrowed her eyes and looked down at her Cheetos and then at Mateo, smiling innocently at him. "Nope."

"River!" She moved the packet before he could snatch it from her!

"Go away Mateo, I am pregnant!" She exclaimed. 

"What?" Alessia and Adam looked over at her with wide eyes. 

"What's preg-gant?" Kiara asked, turning to her brother. "Is Mommy sick?" 

"I don't know." For once, Lucas didn't have an answer because the last time someone was pregnant around him, he was two years old and not old enough to pick it up. "Zia, is Mommy sick?"

"No baby, they are having a grown up discussion. You both color your books." Alessia ruffled his hair and turned to the couple.

"No, you are not!" Mateo rolled his eyes. "Now give me that packet!" 

River huffed, passing the packet back to him. "I miss pregnancy days; Shane let me do whatever I wanted." 

Mateo rolled his eyes - the packet was almost empty. "Well, then you should have married Sebastian, don't you think?" 

River gave him a flat look. "That's incest. Gross." 

Oh boy. Alessia looked down at her niece and nephew and was glad that they had not picked that up.  

Mateo rolled his eyes again. His girlfriend could be unexpectedly cute at times. It was so endearing. For a man who was used to deadly humans, Mateo had been blessed with a bunch of utter cuteness.

It brought balance to his life. He was very lucky.

"What are you two babbling about?" Alessia joined the duo, climbing onto the bed and resting her head on River's shoulder.

"Nothing." River sang and then smirked. "Though I am wondering - is there something you want to tell me?"

Alessia's head whipped around to face River, her face flushed and eyes narrowed. 

"Tell you what?" Mateo asked, clueless about the sudden tension and embarrassment in the room. 

"Nothing." Alessia replied way too quickly. "I think River hit her head as well. Won't lose too much to show a neurologist." 

"I guess you are right." River pouted and then smirked. "I keep hearing these ringing sounds. Like wedding bells." She snorted at the end. 

Alessia took in a deep breath, convinced now that River had caught up to the tension between Adam and her. Didn't this woman have anything better to do? She was supposed to be recovering. Not be a detective and figure out the situation. And make fun of her for it.

"Shut up sister in law. Before I make you." Alessia hummed, watching her brother get up and walk over to Adam, say something to him and walk out the door.

Adam looked around like a deer caught in headlights before he too got up and left the room.

"Ki, what did Papa say to Uncle Adam?" River asked.

"'We need to talk.'" Kiara said.

"'Meet me outside.'" Lucas added.

"Okay, thanks baby." River turned to a livid looking Alessia. "In my defense, I did not think that thick skulled idiot would catch on this quickly."

.

.

.

________________________________