Tasks

Sophie woke up, yawning. She'd actually got some pretty good sleep last night, which seemed quite peculiar when you thought about it. But she had probably just been driven to the point of exhaustion.

"Sophie, you awake?" Edaline whispered and Sophie nodded, just enough that she would notice.

"You don't have to get up yet, I know how busy the last couple weeks have been for you. Kye's still asleep in Jolie's old room. I'll be downstairs making breakfast," Sophie nodded again and Edaline left the room. She was glad to be informed of Kyes whereabouts, slightly surprised where she had slept. Though it did make sense, her parents were getting better weren't they? The thought brought a smile too her lips, until she remembered the thousands of things she had to do that very morning.

Rapidly she went through the list of things she should accomplish that day, update with Team Valiant, avoid the subject of Keefe... Leave the news too Mr.Forkle, knowing him he would already have spies telling him Keefe was around. He could deal with telling everyone about him. Hail Fitz, one of the things she really wasn't looking forward too, and of course, check in with Kye and try to figure out a way too gain Keefe's memories back. Stress impeded her mind as she went over these things, knowing exactly which ones she wished she could avoid.

First things first, she thought too herself. She had to get ready for the day. Admittedly though? That was just a reasonable stalling.

~~~

"Mom has anyone seen my imparter?" Sophie asked after she got herself cleaned up, she was downstairs now looking under every pillow and plate in sight.

"Wasn't it upstairs next too your closet?" Edaline suggested and Sophie rushes upstairs, hearing a sigh as she left the room.

Finally, she thought a she found the imparter. She stared at it for a second, who should she hail first? Wylie? Biana? Fitz... but luckily she was saved from deciding because in that very moment her imparter read, Marella.

Sophie frowned, Marella? Why was she calling? Curiosity overtook her as she answered the call, to see an image of a frustrated Marella.

"Oh hey Marella why are you calling me?" Sophie asked, and if looks could kill she would certainly be dead. Why was she ma- Oh.

Of course.

"Uh Sophie didn't you tell me I'd get to hear everything that had happened recently- and oh you're back in Havenfield. I expect a full update."
Marella started listing off the things she wanted to know and Sophie listened, a headache coming on. Now she understood why Marella had called, just a week earlier she'd borrowed her clothes and promised to tell her about... everything. Right now that didn't seem very fun, it felt like pure torture.

"And I want to know if anything's happened with you and Keefe, last time I saw you guys... well let's just say he wasn't the only lovebird in sight." She smiled cheekily but Sophie swallowed, hard. Now she understood all those off comments about Keefe but... it was more complicated than ever, she did not want to delve deep into that.

"Wait. Something happened didn't it?" Marella said, noticing her silence. At first she sounded excited but then seeing Sophie's apalled face it turned to that of curious concern.

"What happened?"

Sophie opened her mouth too respond, only too be saved once more from answering when someone knocked on her door.

"I have to go now sorry!" Sophie said and ended the call before Marella could protest. Boy she would be in trouble for that later, but she wasn't ready to talk about all of the reasons why Keefe was...

Another rapid knocking tossed away her fretful thoughts as she got up to open the door, surprised when she opened it too... Keefe?
Except it didn't look like him. Or she supposed it did, just not the way she was used too. He had a firm look in his eyes, she'd never noticed the warmth in his eyes till it was replaced by this look, but she missed it more than ever. His smirk was gone, Keefe's lips held a half-smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. And his hair... well let's just say it wasn't his usual style. In fact it alm-

"Can I come in?" A familiar face jolted her back to the present and Sophie blushed. Keefe was definitely going to tease her about staring at him, her blush deepened at the thought of it. He would probably bend closer, talk about how cute she was, maybe ev-

But than she remembered. Keefe didn't know her. This thought almost made her want to cry, but she knew she couldn't do that right now. Nodding at his question she led him inside, she sat down on the floor and he did the same. Painfully she tugged out an eyelash and took a deep breath.

"Hey Keefe, what's up?"

"I was hoping to get to know you guys, you know to see if this is a good fit for Kye." Keefe said, sounding reasonable and polite and... absolutely not the charming prankster she was used too. Where were the flirts that always made her blush? The jokes that had her laughing days on end?

Those days weren't gone... right?

Pushing those thoughts to the far depths of her mind she nodded at his suggestion.

"Sure, what do you want us too start with?" Sophie asked.

"Anything really, or maybe a summarization of your life here? Ro mentioned you came a few years back." Keefe said, offering her a short smile and she nodded.

"Well... here's a starter, I used to live with humans. Did Ro tell you about the black swan? Well..." Sophie went on and on till she reached the present. This wasn't much of a summarization as it was a full life story, sometimes she added jokes, which he laughed at and when there was a beat of silence Keefe would smile encouragingly. She smiled, pausing in her words, even clueless about who she was Keefe could reassure her.

"That's about it." Sophie said after she recounted the recent events too Keefe. He thought about this for a second.

"What you're talking about sounds crazy, it feels like another life. You're saying us and our friends fight against the Neverseen? That we spend hours going over pointless clues. That Councilor Kenric died, you got kidnapped, my mom's an evil and successful bad guy. And that we almost die over and over? Sounds like something I wouldn't want to do." Keefe said and Sophie shrugged, not quite sure how she was supposed to explain it.

"Don't worry, when you get your memories back it'll all make sense." Sophie said and smiled again, she could practically dream of the very moment he remembered her. First he'd smile, maybe exchange a few words and then obviously be horrified and shocked by the state of his hair and run home to fix it. But than he'd be back, that's one thing she could always count on. Yes he went off on many dangerous and reckless adventures, but Keefe was a survivor. She realized then that Keefe hadn't responded too her statement and she looked up at him who seemed to be pondering something. She opened her mouth to question him when he replied timidly,

"What if I don't want my memories back?"