Chapter 19

Well, I can't say I didn't know this was coming

"I want to be a soldier, Auntie. I want to defeat the titans and give myself to humanity's fight for freedom!" Eren's voice still rang in her ears for weeks after her last time visiting. She had stopped on the way there to purchase some extra supplies for the apartment they were living in.

A sewing kit for Mikasa, she often took after Ang, choosing to repair their old clothes to avoid spending money on new ones. A few books for Armin, something enjoyable to do in his free time. And a cloak for Eren, although it was a bit big, he would grow into it. A deep, dark green that brought out the excitement in his eyes as she wrapped the cloak around his shoulders, tying it in front. After his confession about wanting to join the Scouts, it seemed only fitting that she picked green. Deep down, she knew he would follow her on her chase towards freedom. She could see the moment the meaning of the color clicked in his head, and with a wide smile at her approval, he lunged forwards and hugged her tight.

She missed the kids more and more every time she had to leave. She visited them as often as possible, bringing extra food and blankets for the cold winter months. She makes sure they're receiving her paychecks, showing them how to budget for certain things. She also began showing them basic self-defense. Something to give them an extra chance of survival, unfortunately too many people will take advantage of those in poverty rather than take responsibility for their actions.

Each time she has to leave to head back to base, she feels tears prick at the back of her eyes. She knows they see them, it's not like she really trying to hide it either. She wants to be honest with them, tell them the truth about life in the military, tell them how many eyes she's watched fade over the years. She wants to tell them to stop, turn away from the fight beyond the walls, tell them that they can grow up peacefully. But she knows it will be a lie coming out of her mouth. She knows that just as she once had, they will have to make a choice.

But she also wants to tell them about the rolling green hills that spring wildflowers every April. She wants to tell them about the forests of giant trees, and how they're so high up it's a little scary looking down, and yet the first time she had visited, she couldn't stop looking past her feet and across the view before her. She wants to tell them about sandy beaches and crystal blue waters. She wants to tell them about the ocean, about how the waves sound peaceful when crashing against the docks beneath her feet.

Marley.

Ang hadn't thought of her motherland in a while. She thinks Zeke would be close to 19 or 20 by now, going by how many years she had been away from him. Even now, almost 15 years later, she still missed the golden hair and blue-grey eyes of her oldest nephew.

Now, Angharad squeezes tighter around Eren's waist and shoulders, trying to remember that this is only temporary, training only takes 3 years. It will go by quick. She will see them again, and they will come out stronger and better for their hard work and success.