ch.2

"hey dumbasses"

   "how the hell are we supposed to get out of this mess?" i questioned rick, who sat with a hand on his head.

   we had been stuck in the tank for quite awhile in silence, just staring at the walls, not one word left our mouths.

   "we're screwed, i dropped the bag of guns."

   that's all he said, i didn't expect to die this soon, i've only been awake for a couple of hours.

    i held my head in my hands, thinking. i was stuck in this dark tank and all i could think about was my family. i just wondered if they were alive, and if they were, would i be able to see them again?

   rick turned to me and opened his mouth about to say something, but was interrupted by a crackling noise.

    "hey dumbasses, can you hear me?" my head turned quickly to a walkie hanging on a radio system.

   rick hurried over and grabbed it, smacking his head on the tank, a groan escaping his lips.

   i cringed, seeing the pain in his eyes.

   "HELLO? Hello?" rick panicked, yelling into the walkie. "There you are, you guys had me wondering." the man on the other end of the walkie scoffed.

    i grabbed the walkie from ricks hands and picked up the conversation. "Where are you? Can you see us?" i questioned.

    the crackling noise heightened my senses as he answered, "yeah, i can see you, but you're surrounded by walkers."

   i scoffed, "you got any advice for us?" rick questioned, realizing i was getting really irritated by the guy on the other end.

   "i'd say make a run for it." he started, pausing to check out the situation we were in, "the street on the other side of the tank is less crowded. if you move while they're distracted, you have a chance." the man stammered, tumbling over his words.

   "uh, okay..." i mumbled, still not completely sure on what to do. rick grabbed the walkie back from me, while the man continued to talk.

   "jump off the right side of the tank, keep going that direction. there's an alley up the street, be there."

   rick had beads of sweat dripping from his forehead, i could tell he was nervous. i sat calmly, knowing it was a do or die situation. what did i have to live for anyways?

   i looked at rick one last time before we left. he didn't say anything, just gave me a slight nod in assurance. i did the same thing, knowing damn well we might die.

   i flipped up the roof of the tank, noticing the walker the man mentioned close by. i grabbed my knife from my holster, slamming it into his head like my life depended on it.

i watched the walker fall before i jumped up to the roof. hesitating before i started to make a run for it. rick ran close behind me, shooting what was ahead of us.

   as we ran, something jumped out from beside the alley. causing me to draw my hand above my head which held a knife, ready to kill what i thought was a walker.