𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

Sitting in Dr. Sohma's office, I can't help but imagine what it would be like for me to have a life like this. A professional office, with charts and files and medicine cabinets! Oh, that would be the life.

The only thing that sticks out as un-professional is a picture of a woman propped up on his desk. I was right Dr. Sohma must be in a relationship, with those looks and a good job. "Once again, thank you for having me over, Dr. Sohma."

"Of course, Ms. Yuihiso. When you emailed me, I was honestly surprised. Because when we had last spoken, I figured you were stopping everything medical-related." He admitted, sitting down in his chair across from me.

"That was what I thought was going to happen, but my fiance and I argued. The terms we came to after it was that if I got a job, then I'd focus on planning the wedding." I explain.

"Before we continue, would you like something to drink? Maybe tea?" He asks, towering over me as he stands up.

"Oh no, I don't drink tea. But if you have coffee, then I'd love that." Crossing my legs, I tell him.

"I should still have something if you'll wait here a bit."

Being alone, I let my brain process him. Hatori. Since we first met, I have been captivated by his presence. He's gentle, knowledgeable, and straight-forward, everything I wish to be.

Wait, why am I indicating to him just as Hatori? I barely know him, less alone on a first-name basis with him! He's above me, in both status and age!

"Here you go, coffee. I forgot to ask if you wanted anything in it, so I just left it black." He hands me a mug that in appearance imitates marble stone. My fingers slightly graze his as I take it from him, making a thought suddenly dances through my mind before I push it out.

"Oh, this is just fine. Black is my favorite type of coffee." I take a quick sip, noticing that it tastes old and dusty almost instantly. "It wakes me up because it'll like facing my life in a cup; bitter."

Making a quizzical facial expression at my brief laughter, he quickly gets back to talking. "While I'm sure you'd be a good, hard worker, Ms. Yuihiso, the problem you run into is that you did not complete your Nursing Program. So that will shut many opportunities for you."

"I'm aware that I don't need to have a proper nursing job. I want to do something medical-related." I nod my head, staring at my cup with utmost determination. "Even if it is something simple like a Community Health Worker. I have to put my expertise to use somehow."

His violet eyes flutter from his desk over to me as if he were deep in contemplation. Sighing, he rubs his forehead and begins to speak. "I might be able to give you a job working here as my assistant."

"As-as your assistant?"

Me, working under the wonderful Dr. Sohma? That would be wonderful, and I'm sure Hanako would be grateful to know that I was working in the family.

"Are you sure that would be fine? That I wouldn't be a burden?" I frantically ask. "I could work somewhere else if it were easier."

"Let me just speak to the family head, Akito, then I'll get back to you." He looks up from his mug of tea. His hands clasped around it so that I can't see what's on it.

"Thank you, Dr. Sohma truly is one of the best things that has happened to me yet." Should I embrace him? No, that's too informal. Should I give him a handshake? What do I do now?