XVI

"Is this the place?" 

Amelia gazes upon the building in front of her. The food joint was mostly spared from damage, only a little rubble and broken glass here and there. An employ swipes his broom over the dirty floor. Another one stands behind the counter, looking after the giant pieces of meat turning on a stick. 

She couldn't believe they were still open.

Tony gives her a look, his eyes flickering towards the sign hanging out front saying 'Shalom grill'. The witch rolls her eyes and steps towards the entrance. Steve, who was standing the closest by the door, grabs the handle and swings it open.

"After you." He says, always the gentleman with a gesture towards Natasha and Amelia. However the door seems to give weight, falling out of the hatches. The team bursts out in tired laughter at Steve's flustered face as he looks in panic towards the owner behind the cashier.

"I am so sorry, I'll- I will pay for it!"

Amelia shakes her wand out of her holder and fixes the door with a quick repair spell before continuing her trip inside. She really shouldn't be using any magic, as she used way too much already, but she felt sorry for the super soldier. 

The team orders one by one, Tony deciding to pay for everyone (you would think that saving the city would make it free). They choose one of the tables in the middle of the restaurant. The heroes tiredly move and pick up chairs so that everyone has a seat. Before they begin, Thor raises his soda in the air.

"In honor of Phil, and the others that were lost today in battle. May they all rest in Valhalla."

The others follow his action, echoing his words. They eat in silence, too worn out to speak. The light above their table keeps flickering and Amelia blows away pieces of glass from top of the bottle with salt before shaking the spice onto her fries. Clint lays a leg on Natasha's chair, the redhead not complaining as she takes a bite out of her shawarma. Bruce follows suit, nodding slightly in approval with every bite. 

Amelia takes a bite out of her kebab, snickering lightly as her eyes fall upon Steve who was, as any senior citizen would, slowly falling asleep with his head leaning onto his hand. Thor couldn't be any more different. Although evenly as quiet, his mouth was filled with food. His cheeks stuffed as he eats his celebration dinner like the warrior that he is. The witch looks to her other side were Tony sits. Even though he was eating his food, he didn't seem to be all there. His gaze staring into nothingness. 

The witch reaches out her hand towards his and gives it a reassuring squeeze. He faces her and gives her a small grin. He leans forward and quietly talks into her ear as to not bother the other members.

"Thanks again for staying with me out there." Tony says with a cough, trying to play it cool but sounding somewhat embarrassed to admit it.

"You heard me?"

"Yeah, which was strange because even with my whole suit shut down, you were still there."

"Magic." Amelia replies while raising her eyebrows.

Lia sees his eyebrows frown, his mind most likely going back to that horrible moment. The witch gives him a small nudge with her shoulder paired with a light smile. 

The food on Amelia's plate was almost all gone. She continues placing fries in her mouth but her eyes were zooming onto the door. It took her a while to remember all the drama that happened at the ministry. She didn't know how much time she had left before they found her. And she also didn't know what would happen when they did. So she didn't take a risk and ate as much food as she could, even though her body was really not in the mood for it.