Eighteen

"you do not just wake up and become a butterfly, growth is a process

"you do not just wake up and become a butterfly, growth is a process."
---

"So, it's been about a week or so for you guys to work on the project. I wanted to just check in and see how everyone is doing. I also want to give you some time to talk to your partners before class ends." Ms. Anderson said.

I looked at Kayden who was staring at the wall while playing around with the black pen he had in his hand.

We haven't talked much. But whenever I see him, we always make weird eye contact that seems to last a lifetime.

For the project, I haven't got much done. While trying to write Kayden's essay I ended scribbling on the paper since I didn't know what to say. The last time we worked on the project, I didn't get a lot of information because I had to leave his house early. So, I didn't get to learn that much about him.

For my essay, I haven't written one thing.

What do I write?

Do I write about my life story? Do I write about the girl I was before she lost her family? Do I write about how I am coping and how I feel?

I feel lost while writing this essay that's for sure.

I see a bunch of people getting out of their seats making me think they were going to their partners. I look at Kayden and see him already looking at me.

I look away from him and look at Ms. Anderson.

I pick up my papers, notebook, and bag before walking towards Kayden's table.

"Hi," I said once I sat down in the chair in front of him. "So, I do have a few more questions left for the project since I didn't get to finish last, we talked about the project."

"Okay." He stated and I try my best not to make eye contact with him.

"So, if you don't mind, we can maybe work on it after school today and I can finish up my questions."

"I'm not busy so we can work on it today." He stated while still staring at me.

What's with him and staring.

I look up to meet his eyes. "Do you have any questions?" He shrugged his shoulders making me think he didn't. "Are you even going to try and complete the project?"

I don't mean to be nosy but I'm just curious.

"I don't know. I haven't started it but if I were to, I would already know what to write?"

"On your essay or mine?"

"Both." The bell rings and Kayden takes his backpack from the floor which was black and looked a little beaten up. "Can we meet at your house?"

"Yea. I just need to make sure Wes can give me a ride after school." I said and stood up from my chair.

"I can drive if you want. Pretty sure there is football practice." Kayden stated and I seem him lick the inside of his cheek which I find kind of attractive.

Stop.

"Okay."

My next class was Office Aid, and I didn't do much in that class. I mostly worked on homework and ran errands that the Office Lady told me to run, like giving out notes to students in classes and mail to teachers.

By the time the last bell rang I was finished with all of my homework.

"Have a good rest of your day Alexis." One of the office ladies said as I walked out, and I gave her a smile in acknowledgment.

I walk out of school and saw Willow by her car.

"Hey," I said once I got to her.

"Hey ready to go?" Willow asked.

Willow is always my backup ride in case Wes isn't able to take me.

I look behind her a see Kayden walking to his car. "I actually have a ride home. I need to do this partner work, so I am getting a ride from him."

Willow looked behind her and widened her eyes and then looked back at me. "Him?"

"I'll text you," I said before walking past her towards Kayden.

I could feel Willow's eyes burning into my back.

"Was about to think you weren't going to show," Kayden stated before walking to his side of the car.

"Well, I am the one who asked you to meet up."

Once we are both inside his car I look around. It's a very nice car. The interior was all black leather, and it looks super clean making me wonder how he kept it so clean. He has a younger brother, so I doubt he doesn't make a mess but from what I have seen Elijah isn't a disobedient or messy kid.

"Where's Elijah?" I asked.

"At home with my mom." He stated. I didn't work today so I was wondering if Elijah would be there or not. "So, where's your car?"

"It's getting shipped."

"From where?"

"Jersey."

"Is that where you use to live?" I nodded my head. "What kind of car do you have?"

"A black BMW M5," I stated.

"That's a nice car. Didn't expect you to have that kind of car."

"Eh, it was my brothers before it was mine. We worked on it together."

"Pass me that wrench, Bambi," Jack said pointing to the wrench on the red toolbox.

I lazily get it and give it to him. "Why are you rebuilding the car if you just bought it?" I asked.

"I am making it better."

"But it looked fine just the way it was before? Why mess it up?"

"I'm not messing it up, I am making it my own. I want to make it faster and more personal to me." Jack grunted as he used his hands to do whatever it is that he was doing with the car.

"Are you going to change the color?"

"I don't know. Should I?" Jack asked looking at me with a small smile.

"I think you should. You should have it be black or dark red. That would look cool."

Before Jack could say anything, I hear Dad's voice enter the room.

"What are you two doing in here?" I look and see my dad walking inside the garage with a smile on his face and raised eyebrows.

"I am trying to figure out why Jack would want to ruin such a beautiful car."

"Sweetheart he is trying to make it his own. You will understand in the future, hopefully." Dad said giving a teasing smile to Jack making Jack look at him and chuckle.

I rolled my eyes, and my dad kisses me on the head.

"Alexis." I look at Kayden, getting out of whatever headspace I was in.

"Yeah?" I asked while looking around the car.

Kayden furrowed his eyebrows while looking at me and I see a flash of something before it's quickly masked again.

"Never mind."