: F O R T Y - E I G H T :

((Alessandro's outfit^^))

"Damn that was good." Benji says leaning back against his chair patting his full stomach.

We were all finished eating and were now waiting on our dessert. I was also full since they served their food in large amounts but I always had space for dessert. I decided on getting a waffle with two scoops of mint chocolate chip ice-cream, my all time favourite. 

"Well of course you are, you ate like a pig." Alex says laughing and Benji punches him lightly on the shoulder. 

"Hey! You're the one that's a pig!" Benji retorts lamely and I laugh at them and they turn to me.

"I'll never get used to that." Will says with a smile and I shrug.

He was right. It was weird as Benji said 'knowing how to show human emotions'. I'm sure if I kept at it my cheeks would be sore from smiling and laughing so much. A few minutes of chattering later and our dessert comes and we all dig in enjoying it. 

Just then Sheila gets a call and she takes out her phone to answer. 

"Didn't you say no phones at the table?" Jesse says teasing his mother with a loving smile and I felt a pang of jealousy.

She laughs lightly returning the loving look to her son. "It may be important."

And she answers the call.

"Hello Sheila Daly speaking... This is- Oh.. I understand. Give me two minutes." Her eyes widen as she speaks on the phone and her eyes look at me nervously.

She excuses herself and gets up from the table with her phone held to her ear and we look at her retreating steps. 

"Probably some model came down with something last minute." Mike says reassuringly and we nod continuing to eat. 

She comes back almost ten minutes later and sits down quietly, eating her food. She keeps glancing at me and very time my eyes reach hers she smiles at me but it doesn't quite reach her eyes, then turns away. 

"Mom, are you sure you're alright?" Eli asks looking at his mom with soft eyes.

"Yes everything's ok. Its just- We'll speak when we get home." She smiles tightly and I know she's lying. 

"It cant be that bad. I'm sure we can find another model in time for the next show." Mike says.

"Its not about the models actually, their all good. Its about Avery actually." She says and I look up from my plate meeting her eyes with a small smile to ease her.

"What is it?" I ask using my spoon to scoop up a bit of the ice cream and bring it to my lips.

"Its the prison. Your father... he's ready for visitors." My spoon freezes in mid air and my smile drops from my face. 

"Oh." Is all I say as she continues looking at me trying decipher my reaction.

I didn't know how to feel. Some people would be happy to be able to see the last bit of family they had, but me, I wasn't so sure I felt happy. I was anything but. Its been months since I last saw him and who's to say he hasn't changed at all. 

"They said he wants to see you, that he's been on his best behaviour and is now allowed to have visitors. Would you.. perhaps like to see him?" She asks hesitantly.

"I... I..." I stutter and suddenly its like everything that's been going so well starts to crash down. 

It happens in a blur and I cant hear anything but my rushed breathing and my rushing heart that feels like its about to beat its way out of my chest. All their mouths are moving but I cant hear a word that come out of them and I'm suddenly dropping my spoon and pushing back my chair so harshly it falls back. I grab my bag and seconds later I'm out the restaurant door running down the street.