ch.5

tell it to the frogs

   me and rick walked slightly behind shane who was following daryl, "merle! get your ugly ass out here! i got some squirrels. lets stew em up." daryl yelled to his brother, who wasn't even around because of me and rick.

   "daryl, just slow up a bit. i need to talk to you." shane announced, causing daryl to turn around and face towards our direction. i placed my arms over my chest, ready for the worst.

   "there was uh-- there was a problem in atlanta." shane muttered, turing to face daryl. "he dead?" daryl questioned shane, who shrugged, "we're not sure."

   i could sense daryl was getting angry from the tone in his voice, "he either is or he ain't!"

   rick glanced at me, causing me to shake my head, already knowing what he was about to say and do. i stepped to grab his arm and pull him back, but glenn stuck his arm out in front of me, stopping my actions.

   i sent him a weird stare, stepping back into the place i was a couple seconds ago. "no easy way to say this, so i'll just say it." rick stated, slowly walking towards daryl.

   "who are you?" daryl questioned, his eyes wondering to me, probably thinking that we were together. "rick grimes."

   "rick grimes, you got something you want to tell me?" daryl sneered, coming off tough, his figure, outfit, and accent fit the part pretty well too. "he was a danger to us all. so i handcuffed him to a roof, hooked him to a piece of metal. hes still there" rick informed daryl, who turned away to wipe sweat off his forehead.

   out of the corner of my eye, i realized tdog walk into the circle, holding a stack of wood. he glanced towards me, questioning me with his eyes. i just shook my head, looking back to rick and daryl.

   "hold on, let me process this. you're saying you handcuffed my brother to a roof and you left him there?!" daryl shouted, surprising me when he almost choked on his words.

   "yeah" rick said blatantly, sending daryl into a tizzy. i watched as the rope of squirrels flew across the sky, and before i could even blink, shane was tackling dixon to the ground.

   me and tdog stepped forward a little, noticing daryl pull a knife from his belt loop, "watch the knife!" i yelled to rick, soon amused by seeing shane hold daryl in a headlock. "choke holds illegal" daryl sneered, still trying to fight.

   "you can file a complaint" shane joked sarcastically

   "what i did was not on a whim. your brother does not work and play well with others." rick stated, causing tdog to step up, "it's not ricks fault, i had the key. I dropped it."

   knowing what daryl was going to say, i slowly walked to where rick stood, ignoring glenns warnings. "he dropped it in a drain, and ill take the blame. i should've stayed with t dog until i knew merle was free." i informed, watching his eyes dart to me.

   he scoffed, "was that supposed to make me feel better? cuz it dont." daryl started, pulling himself to stand up, "who even are ya?"

   "melanie grey, nice to meet you too." i replied sarcastically, watching him move towards tdog. "look, i chained the door to the roof, so the geeks couldn't get at him. with a padlock." tdog assured daryl, who was starting to calm down.

   there was a pause, silent engulfed the camp as we stared at dixon, waiting for his next move. "hell with all yall! just tell me where he is, sos i can go get him" daryl uttered, holding back tears. I honestly felt bad for him, i would be even more pissed if that were my sister up on that roof.