Thirty Three||Looming Threat

With some persuading and sweet-talking, I was able to get out of wearing heels for the night. I also demonstrated my lack of coordination and clumsiness when it came to having a few extra inches added to my height, and Eve decided on her own it was better that I not make a fool of myself. It was impractical for a dragon rider to wear heels, and especially a dress that is difficult to move in. At least I managed to get out of wearing one of the two.

As I watched her leave with the heels in hand, I noticed the others around me did not share the same outlook on my success. Some of these men I had no clue who they were, and they sat there, glaring. Instead of turning away and ignoring the fact they were openly displeased, I stared them down in a challenging manner, daring them to say what they were thinking.

One was brave enough to do so. Through the mumbling, I heard what sounded like "special treatment." Here I thought a moment ago I was their mutual. Now, as soon as one small thing inconveniences someone, I am deemed to be receiving so-called special treatment. How wrong I was to think that these people could get along with me for one second of my time being here.

Kayne held onto my arm as he noticed I was about to speak my mind. This simple act caused me to close my mouth, but only for a second. My whole life, I had been raised in a world where a lady does not speak out of turn or did not speak unless spoken to. To not speak her mind, her peace or to defend herself. To sit back and let others around her walk all over her as if her body was a mat where boots were wiped clean before coming into the house. A female was not to disagree with a male, even when they were in the wrong. Heinous.

There will be no more sitting back and watching others talk down to me and expect no retaliation. This world that I grew up in would soon crumble, and I would help it do so, starting with this young male, who was ignorant of his arrogance.

"Enlighten me." The male, whose name I have yet to know, was silent for a moment. He almost looked shocked, like he didn't expect me to continue this conversation.

Kayne's hand gripped my arm tighter. "Navi," He said in a low warning voice.

I ripped my arm away from his grasp. "I'm not talking to you." I was not one easily angered by something so small but seeing as how I was subjected to this my whole life, something in me snapped.

"Go on," I said, looking at the male who thought it best to speak his mind. "Tell me how this one simple thing inconveniences your life so bad where you have to compare my treatment with your own." I waited. But he sat there in bewilderment. "Oh, so now you have nothing to say? Is it because you realize how far-fetched you really are?" Now that I had the floor, I couldn't stop. "Is your ego that broken that you have to comment on the smallest of things to gain some sense of entitlement?" I was speaking so fast I wasn't sure if I was clear or if what I was saying made remotely any sense, but my words were fuelled by my long days of anger and this poor fool was on the receiving end.

"Your opinion is quite frankly invalid if you believe that I, of all the people here, have been receiving any special treatment. It's laughable, really." I could barely take a breath in before I started rambling on again. "Have you ever been rejected by this Academy because of your gender? Deemed useless and unworthy without your dragon? Said to be weak, and because of this, not able to participate in the ongoing war? And threatened if you do participate in the war, you would be separated from your dragon and used only for reproducing?" The emotions from my year-long escapade were all catching up to me as I heatedly let these people see what I have been through.

I have ignored everything that happened to me, focusing on the moment as I was now where I needed to be in becoming a full-fledged dragon rider, but it didn't come without its battles. I fought long and hard to be here, to be recognized as a rider, and still, they see me as nothing more than a female playing around in a man's occupation.