Epilogue

Grogu woke, Din's thumb in his small hand and Thell's elbow curled around his body as they lay sleeping on the blanket atop the mountain.

Dad.

It was his only thought as he gazed up at the man who had saved him last year, when he had been eye to eye with a droid that had been ready to shoot him and willing to die for him all within a few months. Had he always looked like this, under the mask? The others had removed theirs, making him question his father's actual face.

Ahsoka had known how he had felt about him, his deep attachment to the man in the armor. He knew it himself. He liked being carried by him, liked when he used the jetpack and they would go flying through the air, completely weightless. He had protected him, had both saved each other's lives.

On his other side, Thell. This girl, woman, who had stumbled upon him while he had been busy making himself at home in her original house. He had watched her suffer for him, and nearly done the same for her in return. He had seen the ring placed on her finger, remembered how Din had shown him several nights before, whispering to Grogu while Thell was asleep. It meant something, something beyond what words could explain.

Some word... Some word from long ago, another language, came to his mind.

Mom...? Mom?

Grogu reached a single hand out, touching the cusp of Thell's chin, watching as her brows creased in her sleep. There was something oddly familiar about her hair, how it turned to fire in the ending sunlight. Something from long ago. Her eyes, though not familiar, were kind. Always had been. Just like Din's.

Mom, Grogu decided.

. . . .

That waning, gruff blaze and that dimming, bashful glow

Had been floating for years, searching for a fate, for a destiny greater than themselves.

But as fate would have it, the stars collided

Burning bright with a profound light,

And the only thing that could separate the two

Was the existence of time itself.

. . . . .

author's note: thank you so much for reading!! i can't even explain how thankful and overwhelmed with love i am for writing this book... i'm so glad i started posting it that night in december. :)

also, the second little bit was a poem i wrote for din and thell a few days after i first started writing the book.... not even knowing where it would go in the first place!!

ALSO! a big thank you will be up VERY shortly, so please make sure to stick around for that for some little things from me, some love, and possible news of a sequel!!