f i f t y s e v e n

We had been making our way through back roads and dirt paths for a few days now. Everyone helped pitch in to build fires at night, and we all took turns on watch. The group was in pretty high spirits, and laughter often filled the Georgia air. My leg was quite a nuisance, but Daryl didn't seem to mind me being practically glued to his side. He actually seemed to like that I couldn't go anywhere without him knowing about it.

Sasha and Bob were giggling in front of me and Daryl, and I smiled at the sight. It was nice to see other happy couples. I looked up at Daryl beside me. He was scanning the trees around us, constantly alert. His black eye from Joe's men was beginning to fade, and his hair was almost covering his eyes. His back was tense under the weight of his crossbow, and I had to force myself to pull my eyes from his shifting muscles. It had been a while since we'd had any alone time, and I was growing antsy.

We made our way around another bend in the road, when a voice called out from the trees. "Help! Somebody help me!" The group was immediately on high alert, weapons raised. Rick held his hand up, stopping us.

"Dad come on!" Carl urged as he led the way towards the voice.

We entered a small opening in the trees, where a man was on top of a rock that was surrounded by walkers. "Help me!" He continued to scream, and we all took another moment to look at one another. He was trying to kick at the walkers, but they were pulling at his legs. Rick shot two quickly, as Michonne sliced through three more. Daryl, Carol and Abraham finished off the rest.

"Come on down." Rick said. He was a bald African American man who appeared to be a preacher from his attire. He slid off the rock, but he could barely stand up on his shaking legs. His eyes were wide with fear, and his face was pale.

"You ok?" Rick asked. The man held up a finger, and vomited to the side. We all looked away, suppressing groans as the man emptied his stomach.

"Sorry." He finally responded, breathing heavily. "Yes, thank you. I'm Gabriel."

"Do you have any weapons on you?" Rick interrogated.

Gabriel chuckled, making eye contact with me. I only stared back in response, and he held his hands out. "Do I look like I'd have any weapons on me?"

"We don't give two short and curlies what it looks like." Abraham interrupted.

"I have no weapons of any kind. The word of God is the only protection I need."

"Sure didn't look like it." Daryl muttered.

Gabriel only smiled. "I called for help, help came." He shifted his weight from leg to leg, looking around at us. "D-do you have any food? Whatever I had just hit the ground."

Carl reached his hand out. "We have some nuts."

"Thank you." Judith began to fuss in Tyreese's arms, and Gabriel's attention was drawn to her. "That's a beautiful child." He said to Rick. Rick only stared back, offering no sign of emotion in return.

"Do you have a camp?" Gabriel asked.

"No. Do you?" Rick said flatly.

"I-I have a church." Gabriel stuttered.

"Hold your hands above your head." Rick ordered, and patted him down. "How many walkers have you killed?"

"Not any actually." He chuckled weakly. 

"How many people have you killed?"

"Well, none."

"Why?"

"Because the Lord disapproves of violence."

"What have you done?" Rick pried. "We've all done something."

"I am a sinner, I sin almost everyday. But I confess those to God. Not strangers."

"You said you have a church?" Michonne asked, and Gabriel nods.

—————

Gabriel leads us for a few minutes until we come upon a white church. A sign out front reads St. Sarah's Episcopal. Gabriel begins to walk up the stairs, when Rick stops. "Hol up. Can we take a look around first?"

Gabriel hands him the key, and we make our way inside, guns raised. Daryl set me down on a pew as they cleared every room, finding no sign of any other human life. Although we were the only ones in the church, I had a bad feeling about this place. Rick signaled the all clear, and we make our way outside.

"I spent months here without stepping out the front door. If you found someone inside, well, that would have been surprising." Gabriel said once we were all back on the front lawn.

"We can take a breath." Michonne grabbed Rick's arm as he started moving again.

"We take a breath, we slow down, shit inevitably goes down." Abraham argues.

"We need supplies, no matter what we do next." I counter.

"That's right. Water, food, ammunition." Rick said, and goes back into the church. The rest follow him, but I pull Daryl to the side.

"I don't like this." I say.

"I know Aspen but it's all we got right now." He said, running a hand through his hair. "I don't trust this guy anymore than ya, but we need some sorta shelter."

Daryl was right, but this preacher really bothered me. "He's hiding something." I whispered.

"We'll figure it out." He planted a kiss on my forehead, and started to help me up the stairs. I took one more look around the forest before hobbling inside.

—————

We had all split up to find supplies. Against Rick's wishes, I had gone with Daryl and Carol to get water. The last thing I wanted was to sit at the church alone. We were making our way back towards the church when we spotted a black car lodged along the side of the road.

"Let's check it out." Carol said, quickening her pace.

She opened the driver's side door, trying the engine. No luck. I opened the trunk, looking for any supplies. There was a few cans and bottles of water. Not much, but it was enough for at least a few days. "We should leave it here in case things go south at the church." I offered.

"Alright." Carol agreed, getting out of the car, and making her way back towards the road.

"Hey do you want me to carry one of those?" Daryl motioned to the jug of water I was holding, but in the process dropped one he was holding.

I bit my lip, suppressing a laugh. "I think I'm ok."

"Shut up." He mumbled as a giggle slipped out.

"Let's go you two love birds." Carol called back to us.

We caught up to her, and were approaching the church just as the sun was dipping below the tree line. The rest of the groups appeared to be back already.

Carl was sitting on the porch, fiddling with his knife "I'll meet you inside." I said to Daryl. He nodded, setting me down beside Carl.

"What's up buddy?"

"There's scratches on the windows Aspen. Deep scratches, like they were made with knives. Someone was trying to get in." I sighed, the pit in my stomach growing. "There's something else. On that wall over there someone carved 'you'll burn for this.' "

"Something bad happened here." I said, looking at Carl.

"It doesn't necessarily mean Gabriel's a bad guy, but we need answers."

"I agree."

"Hey we're eating dinner." Daryl said, popping his head out from the doorway.

"Coming." I gave him a small smile, and slowly stood up. "Does Dad know about this?"

"I showed him earlier. He's going to ask Gabriel about it tomorrow."

"Alright. Let's get some dinner." I hooked my arm around Carl's shoulder, and we joined the rest of the group inside.