Chapter 6 The New Count and Magical Melodies

Kotori regretted ever thinking that she would be able to make good relationships with the new count.

The day he arrived should've already signaled to her it was a doomed prospect from the beginning. And it should've also signaled to her she should have not gotten involved at all with that man.

Thanking back to the day already filled her with feelings of disgust.

It was a normal village visit, about a month after the announcement that the old count was going on a journey. Kotori had been with her father when that... man arrived.

He came in a lascivious carriage and he was accompanied by a small retinue of followers and guards. It was very obvious that he had quite a bit of money. When he stepped out of the carriage Kotori got a good look on his face. The new count had a blocky head with equally square and angular features and a light smatter of stubble on his jaw. He was young around 20 years of age, which was no surprise considering he was the grandson of the old count, but what did surprise her was how he reacted to coming to the village.

"What boonies! I can't believe this is really where the gramps holes up." He spat on the ground. "Do I seriously have to manage this place for a year?"

"Derkin-Sama you promised your father that you would stay here and help watch the village." a nearby attendant reminded him.

"Pfft, That doesn't mean I have to like it." he scoffed then pointed to a villager, "You there! grab me a drink."

"Uhhh, Who are you," The startled villager asked

"Your new count of course! Don't tell me this town is filled with imbeciles." He grumbled

"Now get me a drink!"

"Yes sir!" the frightened villager scrambled off and ran off to get the man a drink

This commotion was starting to cause a crowd of curious onlookers. Although, everybody seemed to give the man a wide berth on account of his obviously abrasive personality.

"What? Do you peasants have something to ask of me?"

Everybody who was watching the scene instantly looked away began to disperse to do their own business. No one wanted to catch the ire of the irritable man who had disrupted their gentle struggling ecosystem.

Kotori was led away by her father, who also did not want to get caught in the crossfire.

As they walked away there heard the man howl.

"This is water! Give me alcohol you nit!"

Kotori felt sorry for the villager. There were few people who brewed alcohol in this village and nobody sold it. It was made from the surplus of the rice harvest and since rice surpluses were rare it was only taken out during special occasions.

She wasn't sure if that man had any wine, but she prayed that he did. There was no telling how badly it would go for the villager if he wasn't able to deliver wine to the new Count.

That night, after getting back home, she re-evaluated methods to gain karma. The initial plan of getting inroads on the new count was doomed but the main idea of gaining tons of followers and having them do the work for her was still on the table. She just had to think of what she was going to do to achieve that goal.

The next few days were once again the monotony of farm work and learning the flute. She was just getting the hang of the magical flute technique and found out from her father that imbuing the flute with mana could actually have effects on the people that hear the melody. When her father played he was using a very light version of it which gave a feeling of happiness to those who listened.