ch.7

ts-19

   we all shoved ourselves into a small elevator, my body being squished between sophia and glenn.

   "doctors always go around packing like that?" daryl questioned jenner, referring to the huge gun he was holding.

   "there were plenty left lying around. i familiarized myself." jenner responded, glancing around at all of us, "but you look harmless enough, except you. i'll have to keep my eye on you." he joked with carl, causing the small boys lip to tug on each side.

   the elevator dinged, letting us all out, soon following jenner as he led us down a hallway. "vi, bring out the lights in the big room." jenner ordered as we walked into a huge office.

   bright lights flashed on, pulling us all out of the darkness. i squinted, not quite used to the bright light. once my eyes were adjusted, they scanned the room, not seeing any sign of life, except us.

   "where are all the other doctors and staff?" i asked, walking beside rick. jenner stopped in his tracks, turning around to face us, "i'm it. it's just me here"

   i shifted uncomfortably at his words, crossing my arms over my chest, "what about the person you were speaking with, vi?" lori questioned, hauling a big bag over her shoulders.

   "vi, say hello to our guests. tell them.. . welcome."

   "hello guests, welcome" the animated voice greeted, causing our eyes to scour the place, looking for a person or speaker.

   i shook my head, "he's all that's left, its advanced technology" i muttered, earning a small nod from jenner, "i'm sorry." he mumbled before turning around, ushering for us to follow him somewhere else.

   my eyes shifted to glenn, once again giving him an unsure look. "i don't trust him, something's up" i whispered, trying not to catch the attention of others as we walked.

   "at least give him a chance." glenn scolded, pushing me along.

    everyone sat around a huge dinner table after getting our blood drawn, which i might add was not a fun experience. i panicked, but luckily sophia distracted me, showing off her dance moves.

   glasses clinking and laughter filled my ears as the others drank and made toasts. the wine tempted me, but i decided not to drink, knowing i made bad decisions while intoxicated.

   even carl had more wine to drink than me, "well, just stick to a soda pop there, bud" shane suggested when carl had turned down the wine, saying it tasted bad.

   "not you two, glenn. melanie" daryl teased, snapping us both out of our thoughts and back into the conversation.

   his words caused me to roll my eyes, "what?" glenn questioned, a smile from embarrassment appearing on his face.

   "keep drinking, you two. i wanna see how red your faces can get" daryl bothered, causing everyone to laugh. everyone except us.

   "so when are you gonna tell us what happened here, doc? all the uh- the other doctors. that were supposed to be figuring out what happened, where are they?" shane questioned once that chatter dialed down.

    everyone's mood changed at his words, turning their expressions into frowns because they didn't wanna hear it while they were "celebrating", even though shane was right. we came here looking for answers.

   "well when things got bad, a lot of people just left. went off to be with their families. and when things got worse, and the military cordon got overrun, the rest bolted." jenner informed, his words making eyes flicker in every direction.