TWENTY SIX

"____, you're needed in room six."

I nodded to the other nurse and followed her instructions, grabbing the clipboard for that room on my way in.

When I got inside I couldn't help but laugh to myself. Two polar opposites sitting across the room from each other. You could almost see the red and blue split in the middle.

"Hey kiddos," I flipped through the paperwork, "Fell off a treehouse?"

The little girl rolled her eyes and looked out the window, holding on to her swollen ankle. Her brother on the other hand had a huge smile, hands on his hips in a proud stance, still sitting.

"Well she fell. I saved her." He grinned a toothy smile.

I smiled back, "Is that so?"

Looking down at the chart, it said he fractured his wrist and two fingers. She had a twisted ankle that was swelling.

"Yep. She was falling and I kept her from hitting the ground, that makes me a hero!" He exclaimed, in a surprisingly happy tone considering he was probably in quite a bit of pain.

His sister's head snapped towards him, "No it doesn't make you a hero. You're stupid. I could've landed from that fall just fine, you just wanted to show off." She lifted her leg, "Now look what you did."

I took my surgical gloves off, sanitized, and began healing his wrist, his injuries worse than hers.

"Was catching her what caused these?" I asked, starting up my quirk.

He nodded, no shame, "Yes ma'am. But some
heroes break their bones all the time to save people."

I raised an eyebrow, "That doesn't mean—"

"—I want to be just like the hero Deku when I grow up!" He beamed.

I could hear his sister groan behind me. Once I felt his bones reconnect, I ruffled up his hair and smiled at him.

"I'm sure you'll make a great hero. Just try not to hurt your sister in the process."

Walking over to her side, I could feel the attitude radiating. But I didn't take offense, no one wants to be in the hospital with an injury.

I crouched down next to her, "Can I roll up your pant leg a bit so I can get to your ankle?"

"Yeah whatever." She grumbled, chin in palm.

It was silent as I worked my quirk, but I decided to speak up.

"Do you have something against heroes? Or just fight with your brother a lot?"

"Why is that any of your business?" She glared.

My mouth went into a straight line and I mumbled an apology, going back to her ankle.

Sighing, she spoke up again, "My parents just praise him all the time because he wants to be a hero. But since I don't care to be they don't pay very much attention to me. I don't get what the big deal is."

Rolling back her pant leg down, I stayed squatted, "Yeah lately I don't get the whole obsession with heroes either. I think you should be whatever you want. I know you want to make your parents happy but what you want is more important. Otherwise you could be chasing after someone else's dream that is impossible to reach."

Her face softened and she fidgeted with the bottom of her braid, "Really?"

"Really." I smiled and stood, "You're all healed up. The doctor will be in shortly to double check everything." I got closer to the door and looked to both of them, "Remember what I said, both of you."

Walking back into the halls of the hospital I found myself checking my found for what must have been the thousandth time this past week.

No notifications.

Once again, Dabi had disappeared off the face of the earth. And of course, I was wrapped around his finger, constantly thinking about him and what he was doing.

One text. He sent me one text since the restaurant incident saying:

'Be back soon."

Which answered none of my questions. That could mean anything. Could mean any amount of time.

I tried not to reply to him at all but couldn't help myself after a few days. I texted him and asked him how long. No reply.

Every day I came home from work a small part of me hoped he'd be sitting on my couch so I could yell at him for breaking in, but also just be with him.

Sighing, I walked behind the nurses desks and went to my chair. Work kept me preoccupied but lately I dreaded going.

The same boring routine every week.

"____!" A voice chirped from behind me.

I swiveled around in my chair, "Yea—" My face dropped.

"Look who came to visit!" My fellow nurse grinned, holding her hands out like a big reveal.

"Hello mom." I greeted plainly.

The atmosphere changed abruptly and the star struck nurse quickly excused herself.

"Hello, dear. Sorry to bother you while you're at work, not that it looks like you're very busy." She adjusted her suit jacket, "But I thought I'd come chat with some old colleagues on my way down to a book signing."

Picking at the skin around my nails I tried to remain calm, "Congrats on your book doing so well. The doctors are in the break room or working right now. I won't take up anymore of your time." I began to swivel around but her heel caught my chair.

"Have you discussed with them working in the Operating Room? You'll never climb the latter constantly dealing with minor injuries like this. Your quirk is far too powerful to go to waste—"

"—No mom. I haven't." I blurted, frustration clear in my voice.

The lines in her forehead that always appeared when she got angry showed, "And why is that?"

I took a deep breath, "Because that's not what I want to do with my life. I'm not like you. I'm not you."

She crossed her arms and let out an airy laugh, "Alright then. What do you plan on doing then? Because you're __ years old and looks like your life is already set up to me."

I stood up from my chair to face her, "I can change my life however and whenever I please. It's never just decided by anyone else but me."

My mother smirked, "I look forward to seeing what you do then, ____. Because you're right, you're not like me. You always fall back into the same habits. Same routine. You never do anything new."

It was like something snapped inside me. A single string had been slowly been pulling tighter and tighter for the past month, tension growing by the day. But her words?

Broke it.

Before I could say anything, she patted me on the shoulder and turned around. Waving her hand back to say goodbye.

Whatever just happened, something about me had changed.

— — —

Author's Note:

You guys really wanted a Seiko fic I'm laughing jsndjsndjd. Well I made one. It's only semi x reader, it's in Seiko's POV telling their life story. I'd love if you checked it out.

You asked for it hahaha