21. You're Not Safe

The car ride to the hospital wasn't as long as I expected it to be. Vincent picked a black 2 seater, it was sleek and long with large engines at the back, however he did not take advantage of the powerful motor, instead he drove along the roads at a steady pace. We left the house in the late afternoon since he was busy for most of the morning. Now my eyes are on the trees that grow in their infinite patience, leaves breathing out our oxygen, bathing in the same light as we soon will. I feel the movement of the wheels over the road, following the curves and greeting each slope in its smooth way. 

The building that we turned into was not a hospital, well, it wasn't like any hospital I had ever seen. Expensive and Showy, probably purposely gloated. I would be frightened to approach this building for help with an injury, It looked like a typical building in New York, almost as tall as a skyscraper, with just as many windows. It was towering for sure, at least 30 stories, and we had to travel through a private gate to gain access to this unnecessarily large establishment.

'This is not a hospital.' I stated as we exited the car.

'Not a public hospital.' He agreed, slightly rewording me statement.

'Then where are we?'

'The foundation, where all my businesses congregate.' 

'Is there a floor dedicated to each business you own?' I asked sarcastically. He let out a short laugh which made me smile.

'Not quite. Several floors relate to the same professions from different businesses.' He explained as we walked to the three wing, dark brown, wooden rimmed, revolving doors. The gold handles needed to be pushed to cause the glass to turn. If my brother wasn't here, I would have carried on going round for a few more minutes.

The lobby of this building was very large, it was unmistakably more lavish than Rocco's edifice. The grand spaces of the foyer invited the lungs to expand, to absorb the fresh aromas, floral scents with a hint of cleaning supply odours. 

Large chandeliers were built into the ceiling, draping down over the top of the reception desk, the honey hues from the lights refracted from the polished floors and back onto the surrounding windows. Colossal Mediterranean style pillars stood in the middle of the space, holding up a lower ceiling that was above the desk. An extensive staircase was located right at the back, turning up a corner that was blocked by a wall. The wall held metal artwork that were sculpted into abstract figures.

Astonished. That was all I felt for this place. Never would I have thought that this would be the entrance to my brothers businesses. It looked more like the lobby of the 7 star hotel in Dubai that I have heard so much about. The women behind the desk looked middle aged, like a typical mum of three boys. She had short brown hair and reading glasses that were perched on the edge of her nose. She briefly looked up to see who had entered but immediately straightened herself when she saw it was Vincent. 

I am beginning to notice a significant pattern whenever people see my brothers, they either look terrified for their lives or they make themselves look more presentable. 

My brother didn't even spare her a glance as we walked by, but I gave her a small smile which she kindly returned.

I was directed to another part of the building, turning a corner to see twin glass elevators. They were almost in the shape of dome, with a pointed tip, Vince scanned a card which opened the lift doors. The ride up was quick, but I still had enough time to admire the building from up high. There were in fact 30 floors in this building, but the top floor had a larger button with a keypad underneath. He pressed the 26th floor then hid the key card back in the inner pocket of his trench coat.