Second month

Although I am annoyed with him, I still do not reject him when he wraps his arms around me and falls asleep. If what he says is true then he is still the most kind hearted man I have ever met, and I do not see any reason he should lie on this matter. When he awakens in the morning, I am already up and prepared to ask him many questions. "How did Siena know we were living in Aubrey hall if she no longer has any contact with Anthony?"

Benedict yawns and stretches his arms upwards, moving his hair from where it is messy over his face. He returns his arms around me and smiles. "I do not know. It was no secret that that is where we were going, she only need have spoken to Penelope or Prudence or maybe even Lord Granville? If Lord Granville knew then Genevieve would have, and therefore Siena."

"Hm." I nod a little, running to the next question in my head. "Why did siena write to you and not to Anthony? It is his child and she knows he also controls the money.".

"I do not know, again, it is not much we have spoken of. She does not know yet what she shall do with the child and so she does not want to involve him until she is sure. We do not know how he shall react." He strokes a piece of my hair from ny neck and kisses me gently, patiently awaiting my next question. "I do not mind, however. It takes no questions to take the money from Anthony and that way he is supporting her no matter what. Even if he does not know it."

"You have spent a lot of time at the modiste. I could understand a couple of hours every here and there so you may give her the money and perhaps engage in conversation but you have been there for hours upon hours." I scowl a little and shake my head. "What means could you possibly have of being there for so long and being away from me for that length of time, at Aubrey hall you shall never leave me for even a mere moment and yet here... I feel I have barely seen you."

"Well, I do genuinely have some dresses for you. That much is not a lie. You are aware how long it takes for a dress to be made, and I did not like the way she did the first one so it had to be made again. Whilst I am waiting, I speak to Siena. It just becomes a lengthier visit, I suppose. I shall not leave you again, if that is what you wish." He kisses my neck once again, attempting to make it so I am not so irritated with him. "Is there many more of these questions?"

"Only one. Can I come with you today? If there is nothing to hide and everything is as you say then I am sure you shall not mind."

"You wish to come to the modiste with me? You never wish to, you have actively avoided it since last season. But we shall go and you shall see everything is as I have told you." He does not seem as though this bothers him whatsoever, if he was lying then surely it would. "We shall go now."

"No, no. I changed my mind. I wish to go alone." I watch him and he continues to stay not at all bothered, shrugging and agreeing that it shall be a good idea. "I am still not happy you called me a gossip."

"I did not call you a gossip, I said that you do gossip."

"I am quite sure you called me a gossip."

I make my way to the modiste. Benedict is right when he says that I have not been here since last season and the main reason for that is that I am afraid I shall be very impolite to Madame delacroix if I see her. I must remember my manners and remember that once upon a time, she was my friend. It is early and so the shop is not yet open, so I have to knock. My old friend seems surprised when she sees me, but she allows me in nonetheless. She does not feel the need to practice her French accent with me, she knows that I know the truth. "Peaches, I ain't seen you in a long time."

"It has been quite a while, has it not? I heard that you had to return to France for a period of time. How was that?"

"Miss, I know you ain't here for small talk. How can I help you? That husband of yours has given me enough work to do without you demanding all sorts as well." She sighs and walks to the back of the shop and so I follow her. She absent mindedly indicates to a covered dress that is placed on a fake bodice, sighing. "It shall be the bane of my existence, I am sure. Comes in every day to check on the progress. I have told him this is my profession and I know what I am doing."

"May I see the dress?"

"I am aware what the dress is for and so I do not believe he should wish for you to see it."

"Of course, that is not the only reason he comes here. May I speak with Siena?"

She seems a little shocked that I know of this, but tilts her head and shrugs. "Should've known he would've told you as well, huh? She's upstairs, she might be sleeping though. You'll have to wake her."

"Thank you." I glance once at the dress and it makes me smile, before I walk up the creaky old stairs to look for the opera singer. I knock on the door and I hear a moan, but she tells me to go in and so I do. I have only ever met her briefly before, but I know that she shall know who I am. "Hello, Siena."

"Peaches, good morning. It is early for a lady to be out of bed." She stretches her arms out and yawns, pretending she is tired but she does not appear as though she has just woken up. She stands with her arm straight across her stomach and a baggy dress on that disguises whether there is a baby there. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"No, not really. It is only that I, myself, am also with child. It should merely be nice to talk to another soul who knows my agony!" I force a laugh. There is something amiss here, I know there is. I can tell. "Benedict told me the baby is Anthony's."

"Yes, yes. How is Anthony doing? It has been... well, three months or so since I have seen him." I do not know if she is genuine in her inquiry or not, but I do not mean to be rude to her either way.

"He is faring. The same temper he has always had."

"He spoke much of you. Although not nice things and not things I should wish to repeat." She also forces a laugh, her eyes narrowing on my own baby belly. "I hear you did not wait until the honeymoon."

"We did not, I am merely lucky I did not come with child before then. I am a few months pregnant now and I cannot believe the number of months I have left. Do you mind if I sit down? I am ever so tired." I perch on the bed.

"Of course. I am lucky the fatigue has not hit me yet, I suppose, that shall come soon, I presume." She states, sipping a glass of water from the side of her bed.

"Oh, within the second month for myself. I am sure my mother was the same." I nod a little, extending my poor old legs out in front of me.

"Within the second month? Oh, well I shall not have long before it starts for myself then." She glances over at me and then rolls her ankles as though to mimic my pain. "Sounds ever so awful."

I smile, for she has told me all that I need to know.