Chapter 6: Friends or Foe

She was just one person. She can't take on the roles of two, she had been trying for a long time now and that had gotten her nowhere.

---Marinette's POV---

It was nice to be there again, but bittersweet. The old man who used to live in this home had since left, completely unaware of the mess he was leaving behind. It was eerily empty, with no sound of a tea kettle in the background, but nobody came here anymore so it was a good spot to hide out.

"Tikki, Spots Off."

The red Kwami flew out of my earrings and into my outstretched hands. I put down my bag that had appeared around my shoulders when I transformed back and started looking through what all I had brought with me.

Clothes, a little food,  toiletries, my diary, my sketchbook, pencils, a few books, and of course the Miraculous Box. I sighed as I put the box where Master Fu always kept it. I missed him now more than ever before, and could really use some of his guidance.

"Am I making the right decision Tikki?"

My small friend flew up and landed on the box in front of me. 

"That's not my decision Marinette."

I hugged her close, then started crying. I couldn't stop them now that they had started, and there was a lot I had to cry over. I was given a huge responsibility at the age of 14 years old, I was one of TWO who could keep the entirety of Paris safe, I was the sole person in charge of the Miraculous including keeping them safe and who gets which, I had to continuously reject one of my best friends, and I had just lost the guidance of the one person who knew who I was.

That's just the hero stuff. I had always tried to be a good person. I never complained when Mama and Papa asked me to run the bakery, I helped my friends whenever I could, I tried to be a positive source of energy for everyone around me, but that crumbled today.

I'm just one person. I can't take on the roles of two, I had been trying for a long time now and that had gotten me nowhere. Every time I tried to fix life for one, there would be something wrong in the life of the other. There were too many sacrifices on either side. 

Ladybug was a hero to Paris, but at the cost of Marinette being a target for bullies. Marinette got to fall in love with a genuine model, but at the cost that he had fallen in love with the only part of her he couldn't have. Ladybug was a inspiration, Marinette was late to class almost every day. Ladybug got to swing free around Paris to forget about her problems, and those problems would fall right onto Marinette's shoulders.

"I can't go back Tikki," I sobbed, "I just can't keep being two separate people!"

"Okay. I uh, didn't want to say anything earlier, but..." Tikki flew out of my embrace and looked into my eyes. Her blue eyes sticking out from her pink body and looking deep into me. Searching for permission to say something that  I could tell scared her little self to pieces. 

"Go ahead."

"When I was emptying out your schoolbag..." Tikki took a big breath in, " Ifoundanakumaunderyourbedandithewoneofyourbooksontopofit!"

"What?"

"There was an akuma..."

--- Adrien's POV---

Friends with Ladybug? Like, Ladybug herself, not her civilian form?  That made no sense!

"Are you sure Alya?" I asked, "I have literally NEVER seen Marinette with Ladybug before."

That was a lie, I had only seen them together once, but I had seen it. Marinette was given the mouse Miraculous and de transformed in front of me.

" How else would she have gotten me that interview?" Alya questioned, digging through the small boxes. They were all empty, like waiting for a Miraculous to be put inside them.

I always thought Marinette made Ladybug uncomfortable. Ladybug never even stuck around to SAVE the poor girl. Actually, Marinette Dupain-Cheng was the only person she didn't like to be around that she would actively avoid. Even Chloe and Lila were favorable to Marinette to Ladybug.

Not that I wanted to dive into Milady's personal life anymore than necessary. She made it very clear we had to keep our identities separate and I respected that. Still, Marinette was one of my closest friends. It always kinda bothered me how Ladybug treats her.

"Maybe Ladybug asked Marinette to hold on to these?" Nino suggested, probably glad that Alya was back in the detective mood.

"That would explain it, but something doesn't add up." Alya Sighed. "I'll get the akuma and take it to my room then. You better call me as soon as you find Cat Noir Adrien!"

We climbed down from the loft and Alya slowly put on like three pairs of gloves, then some tongs from the kitchen downstairs. 

"This better not go wrong."

She carefully picked up the jar with the tongs and started going back to her house. Nino followed her there, trying to act like a knight in shining armor or something. I felt bad giving that responsibility to my friends, but it was late already and I needed an excuse to get away so I could contact Ladybug.

Plagg flew out of my jacket. He never had a chance to say anything since this morning since we were around people pretty much all day.

"Kid, you better find her."

"I thought you didn't like my friends." I teased. 

Plagg turned around. His eyes met mine and I saw something I never thought I would see in Plagg. Terror. Something about Marinette not being where she should be scared Plagg, and that scared me. 

"Plagg, CLAWS OUT!"