1 | impulse

I miss my friend.

I haven't gotten to see Clay lately. Probably due to YouTube and Twitch and everything else. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for his success, but it takes all of his time. He's either busy streaming, recording shit, or in another tournament. When he is free, which is rarely, he often wants to do anything other than play Minecraft, which is the main thing we do together.

I also live nearly two hours away from him now because of college, so it's hard to visit him in person, too.

So, we came to a compromise.

I saw a couple videos on the RLCraft modpack and was quick to download it. I sent it to Clay too, and from there we made plans. Though we only have a couple hours to play together, I'm happy to spend any amount of time with him.

That's how I got into this situation. Alone in my room, cooped up in my apartment on a Friday afternoon, starting a new world in modded Minecraft instead of hanging out with my roommate and talking to people near me.

"Dream— DREAM!" I find myself shouting into my mic, running from a dragon of all things. It's only been a few minutes since we started, at most. I shout again, and die instantly. I didn't realize how hard this modpack was going to be, I should've watched a few more videos.

Clay shows up just in time to die as well. I can't help the laugh I let out as he slams his keyboard. "Why'd you shout for me?! What was I supposed to do?!"

"Die with me." I say, grinning.

Clay stutters into his mic and starts punching me the second we respawn. I yelp, running away, but it's no use. He punches me to death.

I laugh as I die, happy that I've made him angry. Maybe I'm a bit mean, but it's so exciting to rile Clay up, he has the best reactions.

"If I respawn are you going to kill me again?" I ask, pouting, hovering over the button.

"Fuck around and find out." He says.

I click respawn and yelp, immediately getting hit again. I'm running and jumping to get away from Clay's relentless pursuit. We should probably figure out how to actually play the modpack, but this is fun too.

It's no surprise when he corners and kills me again. I like to think I'm alright at Minecraft, but I'll never be any match for Clay. He's literally professional level.

I respawn, quickly, silently, and bolt in the opposite direction than the one we were running. We're both linked to the same spawn in a village, I need to find a new place to set spawn so that he can't keep killing me.

I notice Clay's gone oddly silent as well.

"What are you—" I start, immediately biting my tongue. He appears on my screen, again, already swinging at me, somehow having acquired a sword.

"DREAM PLEASE—" I shout out, trying to run.

"Come to daddy." He says, sing-song.

I hate the way it makes my stomach flip.

Though I've known him what feels like forever, I've nursed the same stupid crush on him starting in high school and now into college. It was fading last year, but the pandemic forced everyone online. Thus, I started to spend a lot more time with him, playing games to keep occupied. On top of all of that, he now produces a steady stream of content that I can and do watch.

Though, I'd rather die than admit that to him.

I've seen the edits of him on TikTok, the compilations of him shouting, swearing, grunting. It's so embarrassing to me that I watch them, but it's a guilty pleasure I just can't stop.