Lasagna - Mista x Reader

Requested by @ncptunesky

Warnings: None

~~~~~~

Mista scratched the match along the edge of the box, setting it aflame. He smiled to himself as he lit the candles on the table. Tonight would be a night he would never forget.

He shook the match, putting out its flame. The box of unlit matches went back in the drawer and he resumed his work.

He was preparing a lovely dinner for the two of you. It was your anniversary, after all. He wanted to do something special for you; he wanted to treat you like royalty.

He walked over to the counter and continued his work cutting up vegetables. The knife made muted thuds each time it hit the cutting board, slicing through a cucumber. He chuckled to himself lightly as your face popped into his mind.

This was so out-of-character for him - making a salad, putting in effort - but he was doing it for you, and that made it worth it.

Ever since you had come into his life, Mista found that he wanted to try new things. He wanted to try being nicer, he wanted to try being healthier, and, most importantly to you, he realized he wanted to try to be cleaner.

His apartment had been so messy the first time you visited. It wasn't exactly a pleasant sight. Clothes and trash in places they didn't belong, and to this day you swore you saw a mouse scurry under a table.

Flash forward to present day, his apartment was much more tidy. Sure, there were still some things out of place, but nothing gross or offensive. He noted that the faint odor his apartment used to have had slowly disappeared. Though the new scent was much fresher, he secretly missed that signature smell.

Though he was extremely glad you no longer gagged when you walked through the door. Boy, that sure had done a number on his confidence the first time around.

"It's not you. It's just..." you reassured, "did something die in here?"

The answer to that was, unfortunately, a yes. But Mista would never admit to you that he had found a dead rat hiding behind his trash can.

As Mista scraped the diced cucumber off of the cutting board and into a bowl, he took in a deep breath. It smelled lovely in here. The faint smell of the lasagna in the oven and the pleasant scent from the candles made him smile.

Mista dressed the salad, tossing it with his utensils to mix all of the ingredients together. He fought the urge to taste test it, instead distracted by the beeping from the oven.

He rushed to the oven and slipped an oven mitt over his hand, opening it and pulling out the finished lasagna. He placed it on top of the stove, fanning it slightly, hoping to cool it down before you arrived.

Lasagna was your favorite dish. By now, Mista knew that very well. He knew all your favorite things, and all of your least favorite things, too. The recipe he had used tonight, he knew, was your favorite in the whole world.

Why? Because your grandmother had made lasagna this way. You had showed Mista how to make it once, and he made it a point not to forget it. He practiced the recipe countless times to make sure he got it just right for you.

As he continued to fan the steaming pasta dish, the sound of the doorbell startled him. You were early.

He looked around the room frantically, calling out to let you know he'd let you in in a moment. He placed the salad bowl on the table, placing a basket of fresh bread beside it. The candles were still lit, he had your places set; everything was perfect.

He dusted off his shirt, something not overly dressy but a bit more formal than usual. As he approached the door, he took a deep breath. Patting his pocket, making sure it was still there, he sighed in relief. He reached out, turned the handle, and there you were.

Now, a year and a half later, Mista smiled to himself as he held a picture frame in his hand. You looked beautiful in white, Mista had always thought so. He chuckled as he thought he looked rather dapper in the photo as well.

You both looked perfect. Of course you did in your wedding picture.

"Mista," you called as you walked down the stairs. He turned around with a smile, placing the picture back down on the table.

"Yes, my love," he cooed flirtatiously. You couldn't help but giggle as you walked over to him.

"What're you doing?"

He smiled and took your hands in his. "Just thinking about how much I love you."

You rolled your eyes, but the blush on your cheeks gave away that his flattery had worked. Mista leaned forward and kissed you softly. His tender lips and strong arms always made you feel safe as you embraced him back.

"What's for dinner?" You asked casually as you separated from the kiss.

Mista hummed, pretending to think. "Lasagna," he replied with a wink.

You giggled and kissed him again.

How did you get so lucky?

~~~~~~

Hey y'all! Been a hot sec since I updated. I've been real busy with school. Tbh, I should probably be doing an assignment rn, but I am not. Oh well.

I know this one was short and I'm sorry about that. My motivation is really lacking. I hope this was still cute enough for you to enjoy. I kinda like it.

Also, I just wanted to say a HUUUUGE thank you for 250k reads! You guys are incredible! Every new read, comment, and vote brightens my day, so thank you all for that!

Lemme know what y'all think! Peace!