30 | wish u were here rn

I wake up feeling immediately heavy, exhausted. Yesterday was... a lot of shit I didn't need to happen.

Whatever.

I do my best to push it to the back of my mind. I need to actually focus. I have three papers and now— one day to do them.

I drag myself up and out of bed, railing my Arizona like it's breakfast and plopping down at my computer. There's a sticky note on my screen.

'thank u for peach ring mommy!' And a drawing of a cute little cat.

I guess Ellie slipped in and grabbed her candy at some point when I was passed out. I pull it off and slap it to my desk, still a little annoyed with her as well. I need to chew her out for not answering my call.

Either way, I turn my PC on, startled when I see it's 5am— though, I guess that adds up. I passed out at like, 9pm. I'm grateful for it in a way, maybe a quiet morning is what I need to push through this homework.

I stretch, body shivering with the effort, and settle in to start working.

***

I'm startled by my door opening, a freshly awoken bed-headed Ellie poking in. I suddenly realize that a lot of time has passed, and that I'm hunched up in my chair like a goblin.

I roll my shoulders, stretching, sitting up straight.

"Come in then." I say, and Ellie pushes the door open all the way, walking in like she owns the place and flopping over into my bed.

I spin in my chair, chewing my lip, glaring at her.

"What's this even mean?" Ellie asks, grinning, showing me my Snapchat story. So, she just saw it, then.

I lift my brows, about to put her in the dirt.

"Last night when I was walking I got stalked and nearly assaulted by a classmate." I say, deadpan, and the smile drops from her face.

Ellie sits all the way back up, suddenly serious. "Are you— what?" She asks.

I give a tight lipped smile.

"Yeah. I called you to come help me and you didn't pick up." I say.

Ellie's face twists and she goes to look at her phone. "I didnt—" she starts, navigating and seeing my missed calls. "—how did I— I'm so sorry." She says, and it sounds genuine.

I duck my head, tired of being angry. I shoot up and tackle hug her to the bed.

"It's fine. I'm fine." I mumble out, mashing my face into her shoulder, though I don't know if it's more for me or her.

"Fuck, man." She starts, wrapping me in a hug. "That's scary, that's some heavy shit." She finishes speaking with more heat, confidence.

"Who? I'm gonna kill him." She says.

I laugh where I'm buried. This is the protective energy I wanted, needed... expected. I whine, despite the fact that I'm still laughing.

"Some tool named Matt. He's in my discussion today." I say.

"The one going on right now?" Ellie asks back, privy.

"Yeah." I mumble back guiltily.

She pats my back. "That's unfair. You shouldn't have to go to that and feel unsafe. We'll figure something out." She says back to me.

It feels like part of a weight is lifted. I melt, liquifying. "Thanks." I mumble. "And the Snapchat is my other classmate. He ended up saving my ass last night. He lives like... across the parking lot. Lucky."