38 | r u...

This week has been... something else. Mostly, the most boring thing I've ever experienced. It's Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, and I'm doing what I've been doing all week long.

I'm laying on the couch, in a Discord call with Clay, George, and Sapnap, half-watching, half-zoned out as they all play Minecraft. Clay's actually streaming to us, doing genuine speedruns, but the other two are just dicking around, playing pvp mini-games against each other. I would join that... but I'm fully on my laptop... laying down on a couch. I'd get my shit rocked.

Instead, I'm on my switch, slapping around in Stardew Valley, just trying to waste my time with something.

"Ooh. Village spawn." Clay says, quiet, and I briefly perk up to look, seeing he spawned next to a Savanna village. He quickly goes third person, jump running for it and looking around. We both oh as our eyes catch on a lava pool.

"RNG Gods please bless?" I say, quick, sitting up to pay attention.

"Let's go." George says, then, "GET OFF ME SAPNAP—"

Clay's completely focused on his mechanics, careful, rapid, and precise in his movements, doing what needs to be done.

"Good start." I mumble. "Clay's already sweating." I continue, with a soft laugh.

He laughs back, but his voice sounds distant, distracted.

"Is Dream popping off?" Sapnap asks.

"I mean. Good start. Gonna be in the Nether—" I lift my brows in surprise as Clay pops into a blacksmith chest and gets leggings, a helmet, and five iron ingots. "—soon." I say, finishing my sentence.

Suddenly, I'm as quiet as Clay, just watching in absolute fascination. His mechanics get even tighter. It's almost silent except the tap of his keyboard, George and Sapnap as distracted as me.

He's quick with the macro: beds, bucket, tools. It feels like the portal goes down before I can blink. As he steps into the Nether I glance at the time and see he's making an insane pace. He walks out into a Piglin biome, turns, and I can faintly see a Nether Fortress.

"Let's fucking go!" Yells Sapnap before the rest of us can say shit.

"Don't jinx it, don't jinx it!" I say, feeling my heart start to beat faster for Clay, who's beyond silent.

His movement is fast, collecting gold and going straight for the Fortress. There are a few moments where I forget myself and flinch as he blind jumps over gaps and block clutches himself each time.

It takes him a moment to find a blaze spawner, but as soon as he does my breath catches. I feel my eyes darting between his play and the timer, watching as his technical ability keeps cutting time. The blazes are being annoying, though, not spawning fast.

"Come on." Clay says, breathy, quiet, and my heart lurches for him.

It takes a moment longer than necessary, but he gets the number of rods needed and dips into the rest of the fortress, collecting gold, before he's back out, hunting for Piglins to trade. He doesn't have... a huge amount of gold. But, it could be enough.

He traps a Piglin for trades, drops his gold, and turns to mine more. He takes a second, then wraps back around to pick up his trades. I see the pearls before I know the count.

"Please." I whisper, mostly to myself, trying to not be a distraction.

Clay opens his inventory. 12 pearls.

"LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOO!" George and Sapnap start shouting, and I giggle, wondering why I'm even bothering to stay quiet.

I keep glancing at the timer, watching as Clay gets even sweatier, mechanics nearly robotic. This is hard world record if the portal is in even a half-decent position, and we all know it. I start fidgeting with my ring, spinning it on my finger to distract from the nerves. I want to reassure him but... I feel like encouragement would honestly be more distracting than it's worth.