Twenty Nine

"strength is what we gain from the madness we survive

"strength is what we gain from the madness we survive."
---

"So, what we are going to do today is play a little game. It's called Hangman." Kathrine states as she gathers the kids on the floor in front of her. "For this game, you guys are going to give me letters that will spell a word, and whoever guesses what the word is getting a treat. So, everyone understands?"

All the kids nod their heads and then Kathrine starts to set up the game on the whiteboard.

It's been a few days since the Carnival and the fight with Kayden. I haven't talked to him at all lately but thankfully it's winter break, so I don't have to see him at school. I have hung out with Willow and talked to her. She is doing good and back to her amazing self, but she is still a little scared about what happened.

She told me she went to go see Melody to check in on how she was doing the other day and Willow told me that she was doing well, and Grayson has been hovering over her, but I don't expect anything less from him because he loves his daughter and cares for her a lot.

"Hey." I turn around and see Kathrine next to me. I look back at the kids and see that they are playing hangman with one another. "You, okay? You seem off."

I put on a smile. "Yea I'm good it's just been a crazy week last couple of weeks."

"What happened?" Katherine furrowed her eyebrows.

"Me and this guy I know got into a fight and just fighting with him is just so exhausting," I stated.

"Is this guy a friend or a boyfriend?"

"Well, he said we aren't friends, but we act like we are. I didn't even like this guy at first but somehow we got closer, and we started talking more but then he straight out tells me we aren't friends, and we never were."

"It sounds like he is afraid. Either that or he is just a total douche."

"I'm leaning towards douche." I chuckled.

"Maybe he is afraid of getting close with you. All boys are the same. When my husband and I met I use to hate him, and he used to hate me but that was because of his feelings for me so he decided to be an asshole to me instead of showing his true feelings."

"This guy doesn't like me. Trust me."

"Do you like him?"

I scoffed. "No."

Kathrine rolled her eyes. "That's such a lie. You totally do."

I glared at her. "No, I don't. Why would I ever like someone like him?"

"You are so in love." Kathrine laughed. "I can see it in your eyes. You may think you hate him but at the same time, you want to know every small detail about him. "

"You don't know nothing Kathrine." I scoffed and looked back at the kids who were working on the project.

"Okay. But when I see you, all blushing here someday I'll know the reason. I think you have a thing for this boy."

I give her once again another eye roll before I see Elijah stand up and walk towards me.

"Alexis?" Elijah said and I kneeled so that I was at his level. "Are you angry at my brother?"

I look up at Kathrine and see her eyes were now widened.

"Your brother is being mean. Why do you ask?"

"Because he told me to ask you." Elijah states. "Are you and him still friends?"

"I don't know," I said while giving him a sad smile.

Elijah walks towards me and pulls me in for a hug. I was shocked for just a second but then I hug him back. Elijah lets go and runs back to his group of friends. I stand up and I can feel Kathrine staring at me.

"I didn't know you and Elijah's brother was close."

"We weren't close," I said softly hoping that the kids didn't hear me.

"Doesn't seem that way," Kathrine said with a teasing smile.

Does Kayden care?

Why is he asking about it?

He said the other day we weren't friends who why would he be asking about me?