1:FIVE

▪︎

▪︎

"Right," Silva addressed as they all gathered together in a half-circle. "Time to get started. I like my students to work well, so you will train everyday." He began to walk up and down as he spoke, his eyes piercing into everyone's eyes. "Find your skill. Hone your skill. Eventually, even you," he pointed his sword at the boy at the end of the line. "Can fight like him." Silva quickly threw a sword towards Sky before lunging toward him, the blonde blocking his advance without a moment of hesitation. After a few moments the older man managed to disarm the boy, causing Sky to laugh lightly.

"He fights even better with advance warning," the blonde joked before his gaze found Vienna and winked at her. She widened her eyes before she awkwardly looked back at her father, who hadn't seen the interaction.

"He did alright, favoured his left but what else is new." Silva turned towards the students. "Sky's father was Andreas of Eraklyon. That made him a legacy admission, but he still showed up on the first day and did the work." Her father's knowing gaze fell on Vienna, who subtly nodded. "I expect nothing less from the rest of you," he exclaimed as he began to walk up and down again. "Whether you're third generation and your parents demanded you come, or if I personally selected you from your realms for service. That decision was made based on your natural talent, in combat and weaponry. I expect to see that skill in evidence daily. This place will seem like hell. Until actual hell comes. We are the first line of defence. A certainty when.." Everyone's head turned towards the boy standing at the end who was trying to hold in his laughs. "Is that funny?" Silva questioned as he pointed his sword towards him.

"It's just.. you're talking about preparing for the future in a castle with kids using swords." the boy spoke with a slight scoff. Vienna eyed her father a raised brow, not knowing whether he would completely blow up at the kid or be passive aggressive.

"Must be nice to live in a world where you can be so soft. Where you fear so little that disrespect seems like an option." The older man slowly walked over to the boy until he was standing right in front of him. "Do you know why the barrier exists?"

"To protect the school from burned ones."

"Have you ever seen a burned one?"

"Nobody my age has. But that's kinda the point. Isn't it all over now?"

"What if it's not? Do you think you would know what to do?" Silva pressed."I was ten when I saw one for the first time."

Vienna rolled her eyes and held her face in her hands. "Here we go again," she mumbled to herself, having heard the story a billion times.

"I was gathering firewood with my father when we heard it. My father shot it twice. Once in its chest, once in its head, but it didn't matter. Burned ones have inhuman speed and strength, and if they cut you, the infection that follows is swift and severe. I watched it happen. I watched the light dim from my father's eyes, and when he dropped his shotgun, I knew what I had to do. Be thankful you've never seen a burned one. But if you ever do, pray that it kills you, so the ones you love will not have to."

Silva stepped away from the boy before addressing the whole group again. "Right. I will be pairing you up one by one before going through basic moves. You," he pointed towards the boy who had spoken out. "You'll be paired up with," he slowly moved his sword past all the students before landing on Vienna. "Her."

Vienna snorted as the boy turned towards her. She knew exactly what her father was doing by pairing him up with her. The two of them grabbed their own wooden swords before standing opposite each other.

"Saul!" A voice called out, capturing all of their attention. Vienna turned to find Farah in the distance, a grave expression on her face."It's urgent. You need to come with me." Silva turned towards the two students.

"You escape this time." He turned to everyone else. "I want you all to train individually for the remainder of the session, whether it's sparring with other students or general strength training. I'll see you all tomorrow."

Vienna sighed in disappointment as she watched her father walk away, then turned towards Adrianne. "Wanna spar together?"

▪︎☆▪︎

Boring chapter so I threw in a cheeky wink from Sky

Also Kylie I swear Adrianne will get more scenes soon 😭

A x