Siblings

We arrive back at the Bridgerton home and I know that Benedict is angry without him saying a word. In fact, he does not say a word at all. He says not a single thing as he takes his jacket off, places it onto the back of the chair, before he sits at the desk. I know he thinks that I have told Pen but I have not. "I do not have idea how she knew such, Benedict."

"I... I do not wish to call you a liar. It is just that very few people know, and it seems as though if Pen were to know from one of those people, it should be you. I... why would you tell her, Peaches? After all of this, after you knew how foolish I felt, after I told you of how stressed and concerned and... why would you instantly tell your sister when it was a secret I did not even wish to share with my own wife?" He does not turn to look at me as he speaks, instead taking his sketchbook from his draw and gripping hard onto his pencil. I do not know if this was a habit he had learnt from me or whether this was something he has always done but he sketches when he is angry. I do not need the sketches to know he is angry, however, his face is burning bright red and he sits up straight, scribbling with venom.

"Benedict, I swear I did not-"

"This is why I did not tell you in the first place! What now when Pen tells Eloise and Eloise tells mother? Or when someone overhears it, and it makes it's way to Lady Whistledown? And how exactly do we deny that Siena is even pregnant? How am I to deal with that? And if we do prove she is not then I am the naive second born fool who gave away that much money to a woman who was tricking him! I asked you not to tell anyone and the first thing you did was rush to your sister? Peaches I... I know you are close with her but... I asked you not to." With that, he drops the pencil, sighing and angrily catching his breath. "I shall look like such an idiot."

"No, you shall not. Think of the pity everyone took on Colin, it shall not be you that they speak of, it shall be Siena-"

"So you did tell Pen?"

"No, I did not. When have I had time? We spoke of it, we slept, I visited Siena, I returned home and we prepared for the funeral of my father and that is when Pen said it! I have hardly left your side and I rushed back from the modiste to tell you of the information I had learned, the first I have seen of Pen today was just now. Benedict, why should I tell her? I promised I would not! We have argued enough, do you think I should wish to cause another?" I sniffle a little, shaking my head and holding my stomach, collapsing into the bed as my knees begin to wobble. "I did not say a word to her."

"I do not know how else she should know. I know, you know and Anthony knows. I did not tell her and I doubt Anthony and Pen have ever had a conversation. I fear you are not being truthful, Peaches." He shakes his head and turns his chair so that he might look at me, resting his head on his hands. He gets a little of the black pencil on his chin, but now is not the time to tell him he looks a fool. I do not imagine he should take very kindly to that.

"I have not had time to speak to Pen. I have not told her. Maybe Siena or Genevieve have told someone? Or... perhaps someone in the shop? I do not know how or what or when but I know that I did not tell a soul." I shake my head, my eyes glistening with tears. "I feel as though whatever I say, you shall not listen anyway. I... I shall leave you to sketch in peace. I shall go downstairs and leave you alone for the night."

He does not say anything else before I leave. I close the door, catching my breath so that I can stiffle any tears. Benedict has been correct, london is a terrible place to be and I despise it as much as he does. Things like this did not happen at Aubrey hall, we have never had a single cross word since we were married and now we seem to be having argument after argument. Perhaps I am just more sensitive to it with being pregnant, or perhaps London is cursed.

I make my way down the stairs and the first person I see is Anthony. He offers me a polite smile, and he most certainly does not know what he shall do when I instantly burst into tears. This attracts the attention of Colin too, and the pair of them rush to my assistance. "Peaches, are you quite alright? Shall I fetch Benedict?" Colin enquires.

"I am almost certain that the tears shall be from Benedict, Col. I do not think that it shall be such a good idea to fetch him." Anthony nods and guides me easily into his office, helping me to sit down and waving at Colin to force him to go and get me a drink and most likely some sweets too. They are all aware how much I enjoy my sweets. "Peaches, do try and dry your tears. I am not fantastic at dealing with tears."

"I am sorry, I am sorry." I desperately dab at the tears on my cheeks with my hands, Anthony crouching down in front of me and using the sleeve of his jacket to dry them more effectively. "Thank you."

"You needn't thank me. I am sure it is the least I could do. After all, it seems to be my previous conquests that are causing these problems." He gives me a slightly out of character chuckle as he takes the seat next to me. "I presume that is what this is about?"

"Yes. Well... Pen somehow knew that Siena was pregnant. Or, is not pregnant... or whatever. But Pen knows and she asked Benedict of it and so now he thinks that I have told everyone. He just continues to say he is a fool and he is naive and he is idiotic and all of these things of himself. He is just upset and embarrassed to think clearly, I am sure if he was thinking clearly then he should not accuse me of such. He surely knows I would not and that I have not even had the time to do so."

"I have not told anyone. Benedict has not, you have not. I doubt siena has since that should blow her cover, and there should be no reason for the modiste to do so. There is therefore surely only one explanation?"

"And what is that?" I sniffle, rubbing my nose and taking the drink that Colin gives to me before he perches on the side of Anthony's desk.

"Siblings."