Chapter Twenty-one: The New Home

"This is you." The mayor gives me an apprehensive smile.

I don't return it, simply watching him. He's the only person remaining.

The District had a little welcoming party waiting for me when I got off the train: a collection of the wealthiest business owners in the community trailed by Finnick, Mags, and a horde of Peacekeepers. But, everyone quickly dispersed. No one wanted to be there.

District Four is not proud to have me as their victor. I am the victor with the most blood on her hands in history; I executed the games with a scary order and calculation. Also, James' blood is on my hands. For that, I will never be accepted here.

The mayor walked me over to Victor's Village alone. He hasn't spoken a single word since we left the village, only stopping when we enter the gates to open them. It wasn't until he was standing in front of one of the marble houses in this small village that he speaks, gesturing to it.

I analyze it's exterior. This is one of the smaller victor houses, and I think that's because I have no family moving in with me. Most victors have parents or siblings or maybe even children that want to live with them, so they get bigger homes. Unlike them, I'm all alone.

Then, I dip my head. "Okay. You have a key?"

He extends his hand out to me. There is a small metal key in his plan. "Yeah, here."

I take it and sigh. "Anything else?"

His jaw clenches. It takes him a few seconds before he speaks. "Are you Viper?"

"Am I what?" I frown at his question instantly.

Something flickers through his eyes at my clear confusion. Does he really think that I would slip up at such a simple question? That's a rookie move, and I am very far from a rookie. "Never mind. Can I ask you something?"

"You just did." I make no effort to hide my annoyance with this conversation.

The mayor purses his lips. "How did you pay me to keep your name in the reaping only once?"

Ah, there is it.

He's suspicious of me.

This isn't new; he always has been. Every year, I provide him with a large sum of money from who knows where to keep my name down in the Reaping and at only one slip. I know he's always been intrigued how someone who doesn't even have a stall in the market can comfortably fork over that amount of money yearly, but we've always worked on a "don't ask, don't tell" mentality. But, with my success in the games, he must have thought that that didn't apply anymore - that he's entitled to some answers.

To guess that I'm Viper is impressive, though. I thought he would expect prostitution or something of that manner to be the reason for my apparent wealth, not that I'm a highly skilled killer; kudos to him.

I raise my eyebrow at him. "I got some cash and put it in a duffel bag-"

"Where does the money come from, Kai?" He's studying me intently now.

I open my mouth before closing it. Immediately, my classic excuse for when conversation is awkward comes to mind. I haven't used it in years, but it will definitely shut off this conversation.

There's a moment before I speak. My voice is a little softer than before, holding more emotion than he's ever heard from me. "It's what I got for selling my parent's house and their stall in the market."

His eyes widen with understanding.

"Are we done?" After a pause, I duck my head from his gaze - which is now full of pity instead of anger and suspicion. The parents always work in the district as a perfect explanation: why I stopped being seen in public, why I basically removed myself from District Four socially and financially - they shut everyone up.