71 | Small Town

Thank you @pinklemonxade for the romantic poster!

Shoutout to @estesmerlot for your comment in the last chapter and for coining the phrase "RTF" (Raccoon Task Force) to rescue Millie. Love it.

Chapter 71: Small Town

The cold air came in through my broken window. Luke and I stood in front of shattered glass. We were safe, but the intruder was gone.

I know I should've been thinking about their identity, their motive and how I was going to catch them, but all I could think about is how Luke was safe.

Luke was looking out of the window and abruptly said, "He's slow. I can get him-"

"No!" I exclaimed, watching Luke's hand already on the windowsill to jump out, "You don't have shoes on! You don't know if they're unarmed! We should call the police!"

He was shirtless in this cold winter night and bare foot. The only thing he was going to catch right now is a cold.

Luke returned to me, choosing not to throw himself out of my second-floor window. With a serious look on his handsome face, he said, "You're either moving house or we're getting a damn lock on that door."

"The second option?" I suggested, not sure if I could promise either. It was entirely my mom's decision, wherever in the world she was.

The right words were difficult to find, but I wanted to say something that would convey my gratitude, my relief, my overwhelming-

"I love you."

That sums it up.

The words roll easily off my tongue now. Love for Luke feels so natural, and after saying it the first time, I couldn't stop saying it.

What else can you say to someone you love who comes running to your rescue in the middle of the night? It was selfless – especially coming from someone often branded as selfish.

Luke is so much better than his reputation allows him to be.

Luke wordlessly kissed me. He kissed my lips and my forehead, and his body felt cold to my touch. It was so cold tonight and he was barely dressed.

"I love you," he whispered back, pulling me close, "I love you so much."

Why did I hear a hint of fear in his voice? I hugged him, and my hands rubbed his back, trying to create some warmth for him.

"I was scared something was going to happen to you," he admitted, exhaling in relief.

I was so relieved that he was safe. Tonight could have ended so differently.

"Thank you," I told him, finding it so hard to not break into tears, "You came for me."

I don't think he'll ever know what if feels like to be so alone before we met.

I wasn't used to this. Luke is different to any relationship I've had before – including that with my own family – but I'm still learning what that means.

It was pure luck that I had been on the phone with him when the intruder broke in. I don't know what would've happened if I hadn't called for help. If we weren't already on the phone, I probably wouldn't have had the time.

Luke pulled away from me, and looked me up and down, his arms holding mine, "Are you OK? Are you hurt in any way?"

"I'm fine," I said, my face contorted in some strange expression as I tried to stop myself from full on crying.

I just wanted to be back in his arms. He pulled me into his embrace and his caring hand stroked my hair.

"Thank you," I whispered, squeezing my eyes shut as tears escaped them.