Chapter 16: Confessions

Jessica was quite happy to see the guests leave the following day. While she enjoyed the occasional ball and party, she preferred a quiet life. Wanting to be alone for a while—and with Olivia having tea with friends who hadn't left yet—she found the book she was reading, changed into walking boots and left the manor for one of her afternoon walks. It wasn't long before she shed her boots and stockings to walk barefoot across the green hills, her bonnet once again dangling by its ribbons from her hand.

The summer sun warmed her face and arms, a light breeze playing with a few wisps of hair that had come loose from her chignon. Remembering the pond where she'd been before, she turned her steps in that direction. As she got closer, she realised she wasn't the only one who had thought of visiting the pond. Jacob's horse grazed between the trees, but she could not see its master anywhere. She had a sneaking suspicion he might be swimming, and against better judgement, she approached the water to see if she was correct. Some splashing noises confirmed her notions before she even caught sight of him, but by the time she did, she could not possibly turn her gaze away.

He swam from one side of the pond to the other, his muscular arms sweeping gracefully through the water, propelling him forward at a rather impressive speed. Unable to stop herself, she approached the edge of the pond and stood there watching him for a moment; the sun making the water in his hair sparkle like diamonds. It didn't take long for him to notice he was no longer alone and he stopped swimming, standing up some ten feet away from her. The pond wasn't overly deep, leaving the water lapping around his midriff. She shouldn't stare, but it was difficult not to admire his sculpted chest and powerful arms, the water glistening in the dark hair on his torso, trickling down his flat stomach and back into the pond.

He watched at her in silence for a moment before quirking an eyebrow. "We've got to stop meeting like this," he remarked with a lopsided grin.

Her eyes guiltily flew from his abdomen to his face. There was definitely a glimmer of dark amusement in his blue eyes. "I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't realise you were here. I was planning to do some reading."

"Oh, don't let me stop you." He chuckled "Go ahead, I will leave."

Sweeping her gaze over him, she frowned. "Jacob, are you naked?"

"I think we've already discussed my appearance while swimming," he replied as he started walking towards her.

"You better not be coming out of that pond!" she warned him, a hint of panic in her voice.

"I'm cold and I most certainly am coming out. So if you don't want your maidenly senses forever damaged, I suggest you turn around now."

Quickly turning her back to him, she could hear him laughing, making her grit her teeth. "What are you doing here, anyway?" she asked while he dressed behind her.

"Taking a dip, obviously."

"Do you enjoy swimming?" She looked up into the skies above, trying hard not to imagine him naked in the pond.

"I did when I was a child. Nowadays I find that jumping into a cool pond has some other advantages."

Surprised, she turned around and was relieved to find he had put on his breeches and a white shirt, even if the latter was open, displaying much more naked, male skin than her senses could handle without overheating.

"Don't ask," he said as she opened her mouth to do just that. She shut it again. "Let's just say that sometimes men are quite easily affected."

He pulled on his boots, but when he realised she didn't understand what he was talking about, he stopped and gave her an amused look. "Maybe you should go back to reading those books of yours."