01 | heartbeat in my ass

"What the hell you doing, man?" The question slips so easily from my tongue that Ian isn't even fazed as he types away on his phone

"What the hell you doing, man?" The question slips so easily from my tongue that Ian isn't even fazed as he types away on his phone. "We got practice." I adjust the headband holding my hair back and lean forward to slap his leg.

He's lounging on the locker room bench, knee propped up in the air and phone in hand above his face. Knowing him, he's texting his girlfriend, Skyla. Swear, ever since they got together, they can't stay away from each other.

Weirdos.

He rolls his eyes and keeps typing, "Tell coach I don't feel good."

"Well, he's gonna make you feel worse if you don't get the fuck up." I warn but he doesn't move, "Bro, I'm deadass. Get the fuck up."

Ever since Ian Berkley and I shared a dorm room freshman year, we've been best friends, often bonding over the fact that we play football together and the fact that he's an absolute dumbass. Well, he shares that title with the third part of our friendship - Tyrese Francis.

Seeing as I'm the only white dude in the group, they find pleasure in making sure I don't forget it.

But, I wouldn't trade them for the world. They're my best friends who've shown me nothing but love and support, Ian even taking me to his house for Thanksgiving when I didn't feel like dealing with the man I call my father.

He sits up but doesn't move any further than that, "You wanna go bowling this weekend?"

My brows furrow in confusion, "Uhh..."

"Sky is planning some thing for both of our friend groups to do together." He elaborates, but my facial expression doesn't change.

"Why the hell would we do that?" I question, the octave in my voice rising a bit. Despite the two dating since the beginning of junior year, neither I nor Tyrese, have met anybody in her friend group.

I usually try to stay far away from meeting new people and having to go through the motions of never talking to them again - so why not cut it off from the start?

Ian rolls his eyes and grabs his water bottle while I lean against the lockers anxiously. Coach is gonna beat both of our asses when he realizes how long I've been gone. He sent me to get Ian, but I obviously was a terrible option to do that.

"Because you haven't met my girl's friends yet."

"And I don't want to."

He scoffs, "You know, for an engineering major, you're kinda stupid."

I roll my eyes and pull the headband from my forehead. If I'm not out there on the field, I don't need it right now.