Chapter 11: Jaunedice

Cardin has his weapon perched on his shoulder and Jaune opposite him with his sword drawn, leaning on his weapon as if exhausted, in the spotlight shining on the Beacon Academy auditorium stage. He looks at Cardin, who laughs at his opponent's tiredness, and Jaune gathers his strength to charge forward and swing his blade at Cardin, only for him to jump out of the way. Jaune looks back, surprised, as Cardin sends Jaune's shield - and himself - flying back. Now only armed with his sword, Jaune continued to try and attack, but is blocked by the mace's hilt. Their weapons locked, Cardin forces himself up, towering over a struggling Jaune.

Cardin: "This is the part where you lose."

Jaune: "Over my dead-!"

Jaune is cut short as Cardin knees him in the gut, making Jaune drop his sword and fall to the ground in pain. Cardin raises his mace and is about to slam it down on a worried Jaune just when the buzzer rings, the lights come back on, and Glynda Goodwitch's voice causes him to stop.

Glynda: "Cardin, that's enough!" She exclaims as Cardin backs off "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match." She explains as Jaune looks disappointed and Pyrrha looks at him saddened "Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?"

Cardin: "Speak for yourself..."

Glynda: "Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!"

The bell rings, and students start leaving while Pyrrha continues to frown sadly. While Jayne sits there with a sad frown on his face

——

The scene then changes to the lunch team where Nora is telling Team, RWBY, KING and JPNR a story

Nora: "So! There we were, in the middle of the night..."

Ren: "It was day."

Nora: "We were surrounded by Ursai..."

Ren: "They were Beowolves."

Nora: "Dozens of them!" she screams this as she stands on the table

Ren: "Two of 'em."

Nora: "But they were no match... And in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs!"

Ren: "She's been having this recurring dream for nearly a month now." He explains as Jaune was just playing with his food

Pyrrha: "Jaune? Are you okay?" She asks looking at her leader

Jaune: "Oh, yeah! Why?"

Ruby: "It's just that you seem a little... not okay..."

Jaune: "Guys, I'm fine. Seriously! Look!" he holds up a thumb while laughing nervously

Pyrrha: "Jaune, Cardin's been picking on you since the first week of school!"

Jaune: "Who? Cardin Winchester? Nah... He just likes to mess around! You know, practical jokes!"

Ruby: "He's a bully."

Jaune: "Oh, please! Name one time he's 'bullied' me."

[Flashback]