Chapter 28

Anna tried to ignore how Rhys was watching her as she analyzed the artwork. Her head was cocked to the side as she stared at a colourful abstract painting. They were the only two in the room, except for the security guard that was wandering through the exhibits. Rhys was busy watching Anna and was ignoring the paintings on the wall.

Anna only looked over at him when she heard his cell phone ring. Rhys sighed as he pulled the phone out of his jacket and placed it against his ear. Anna returned to looking back at the art and she listened to the one side of the conversation.

"What, Drew?" Rhys asked.

Anna could hear Drew's voice on the other end of the phone, but she could not make out what he was saying. Rhys shook his head as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"You have got to be kidding me," Rhys said. "We drove halfway across Canada for nothing?"

Anna's eyes widened as she looked over at Rhys. Did Jonathan track down their location already? He was smart, their grandmother had trained them well, but how could he find them so fast? She really was going to be on the run forever.

"Where are you?" Rhys asked. "Have you called Hux and Calvin yet?"

Anna chewed on her lip. Rhys said they would always be on the run, but the Nightingales were not even giving them the chance to rest. It was hard to believe that this would be her eternity.

"We'll be there in fifteen minutes," Rhys said. "Try not to fuck anyone else while you wait for us."

Anna raised an eyebrow as Rhys shoved the phone back into his pocket. His last statement did not align with her thinking.

"What is going on?" Anna asked. "Do hunters already know where we are?"

"What? No." Rhys shook his head. "Drew was just caught having sex with Sybil by her husband. We have to find somewhere new to stay."

Anna's heart sank in her chest when she thought about a husband coming home to find his wife having an affair. Watching Drew and Sybil making out in the kitchen was one thing, but having a full-blown affair was different. Maybe she should have let Drew know she saw them. That could have made him rethink his actions.

"Let's go," Rhys said. "We have to meet him in a parking lot down the street."

"What about our stuff?" Anna asked.

Her stomach clenched. Her grandmother's notebook was in her duffel bag. If Sybil saw that, she would surely tell the others that Anna was a Nightingale.

"Drew got all of our bags before leaving Sybil's," Rhys said. "Come with me, sweetheart."

Rhys held out his hand, and without thinking, Anna reached out and grabbed it. They took a few steps before she realized what she had done. She tried to pull away, but Rhys tightened his grip. She could not convince herself to try and yank her arm away from Rhys again.

Anna stayed quiet as they walked out of the art gallery. The cold wind bit at Anna's skin as they stepped outside. She buried her face down into her scarf as they went down the sidewalk. She let Rhys guide her through the city until they came to an empty parking lot. Only a few cars were parked, and she could see Rhys's car in the middle. Drew was leaning against the car with his arms crossed over his chest. He stood straighter when he saw them, and his eyes glanced down to Anna and Rhys's intertwined fingers.

"Don't be mad," Drew said.

"I'm not mad," Rhys said. "I'm infuriated."

"Richard was supposed to be at work!"