forty-six

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗜𝗫
( 𝘏𝘐𝘓𝘓𝘛𝘖𝘗. )

MURPHY LOOKED AROUND IN WONDER as soon as she stepped foot in the new world

MURPHY LOOKED AROUND IN WONDER as soon as she stepped foot in the new world. It took her back in time, with blacksmithing, thriving crops, and livestock. She saw the community members working and doing their part. People fed chickens and did laundry. It looked functional, unique, and promising. In the center, a large mansion stood in pristine shape. Daryl locked eyes with Murphy and silently asked her thoughts. She nodded with a wide smile and bright eyes. His lips fluttered upward and he lowered his head in agreement.

"There was a materials yard for a power company nearby," Jesus began as he led them through. "That's how we put up the walls. A lot of people came from a FEMA camp. Trailers came with them."

"How did people find out about this place?" Michonne asked.

Jesus turned to the large house before them and gestured, "That's called Barrington House. The family that owned it gave it to the state in the '30s. The state turned it into a living history museum. Every elementary school for 50 miles used to come here for field trips. The place was running a long time before the modern world built up around it. I think people came here because they figured it'd keep running after the modern world broke down. Those windows up there let us see for miles in every direction. It's perfect for security. Come on. I'll show you inside."

The group shared looks with each other and followed. They made their way up the large porch and entered the mansion. Inside, the place was spotless. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, untouched. The rug had been cleaned so well Murphy felt bad for stepping on it with her muddy shoes. Detailed portraits lined the walls, and Daryl observed them.

"Good gracious, Ignatius," Abraham muttered beside Murphy. She chuckled under her breath, enjoying Abraham's subtle way with words.

"Most of the rooms have been converted into living spaces. Even the ones that weren't bedrooms," Jesus explained.

Rick looked around, "People live here and the trailers?"

"We plan to build. There's babies being born," Jesus replied.

Murphy looked at the ground. Before anyone could respond, a door opened beside them. Daryl shifted nervously as a man became visible. He donned an expensive looking suit and a smug smile upon his face. He was an older man, but it was obvious he didn't think it. He stepped forward confidently and hooked his hands upon his jacket.

"Jesus!" He exclaimed while looking around. "You're back. With guests."

"Everyone, this is Gregory," Jesus introduced. "He keeps the trains running on time around here."

"I'm the boss," Gregory replied, jutting his hands out in a grandiose manner.

For the first time that day, Murphy felt her hands tighten around her rifle as she stared at him, unimpressed.