12

Sonic tapped his foot on the floor, staring blankly at the wall. Nightmares weren't entirely uncommon for him - it came with the job. But he'd never had nightmares that felt so real that he'd hardly been able to wake up.

No doubt it was Infinite.

This jackal was getting out of hand. Even without backup from Eggman, he was destroying them. It was kind of frustrating.

And he was also worried that the jackal would find their headquarters. He was in Sonic's head. Who was to say he couldn't track them that way?

He shook his head. He wasn't going to worry himself or anyone else more than they had to. Those were theories and there was no way to prove them.

Plus, he'd told (Y/n) he'd stay here at headquarters and take a break. And that was what he intended to do.

The door cracked open a few minutes later and Tails peeked his head in. "What's up, buddy?" Sonic said rather eagerly. The fox stepped in fully after, an understanding look crossing his face.

"Brought you something to eat," he said, placing a brown bag on the bed next to Sonic. "Knuckles and (Y/n) are hoping you'll just sit still, though I told them there's a low chance of that."

"Nah, actually," the hedgehog said, grabbing the bag and peering inside. "I think I'm gonna sit it out in here until my leg's all better." He patted the wound gently, smiling at his friend. Tails sat down next to him. "Oh, no. I can already feel the bad news coming."

"Well, good and bad. First things first, though. Why did you lie about who hurt you?"

"Huh?"

"(Y/n) said she did it." A pause. Then a face palm from Sonic.

"Of course she did. I'm not mad at her. She was mind controlled. But she's gonna run away the first opportunity she gets and I'm not about to let her go out there alone, completely at the mercy of an angry jackal." Tails nodded. "Now, bad news first. Good news always cheers me up."

"Okay, well, Infinite has seized what's left of the Eggman Empire."

"Overnight?!"

"Apparently. He can control machinery now and all citizens in the area are now his slaves. Team Dark is pinned down in that area and can't come help us down here."

"...Is there good news?"

"A little. Resistance members placed on the other side of the world are on a flight here right now."

Sonic frowned. "Silver?" Tails cracked a smile.

"Not yet."

"Do we know where Infinite is right now?"

"The Chaotix are tracking Team Dark's SOS right now and we're assuming Infinite's there, but ghost signals are popping up all over the radar. He's become impossible to track."

"He's got everything he needs," the blue hedgehog mused, pulling a sandwich out of the bag. "Why take his time?"

"Take over the world?"

"And give us time to stop him? No, he's playing his cards carefully, biding his time."

"Maybe, but I wouldn't call taking over abandoned machinery careful."

"It's not random," Sonic insisted. "I just know it."

"I believe you. We all know it," Tails replied. "But we just don't know why. Why take over the Eggman Empire at all? What use are a bunch of robots to him now? We've got all the resistance we need to take them down."